S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

`99 LS - wiring 12v aux through stereo fuse...

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default `99 LS - wiring 12v aux through stereo fuse...

Hi folks. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I'll apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I can wire an electric guitar in my sleep, but cars and fuses are unexplored territory...

I'm hoping to get my 12v auxiliary power sockets (the ones on the passenger side below the glove box) wired so that they're switched through the ignition the same way the stereo is. But I'm a little hung up on what to do once I get to the fuse box. I'm assuming that socket #13 (20A AUX PWR) goes to the 12v accessory sockets (or are they on the same fuse as the cigarette lighter - socket #2?). If that's the case, I would also assume that socket #24 (10A RDO IGN) is where I want my leads to end up. I know that there are parts available that will allow me to "piggyback" additional connections onto a fuse socket (no idea what these are called, but I know I've seen them around) - but I've noticed that the value of the two fuses are different. This seems like it could create an issue. Do I need to change the value of the fuse to accommodate? Also... Do I need to jump both leads over to the new fuse? Or just the powered one? Perhaps more importantly... Am I even going about this the right way? Perhaps a better option would be to hard-wire something like this into the fuse?...

Thanks in advance for any advice. Here's a shot of the interior fuse box diagram for reference...
Old April 26th, 2013, 2:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It is not the cigar lighter fuse, you can see it top right. Aux power is fused with (as you can see) 20 amp fuse depending on the load requirement of what you are installing. I'd suggest if you are going to piggy back a device, go to the power side of the fuse (fuse out, key on to determine which side it is), with a seperate fused circuit to whatever you are installing.
Old April 27th, 2013, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Hmm... What I'm going for is having my fm transmitter (for my mp3 player) turn off with the stereo when I kill the engine. Actually when you open the door after killing the engine. So if I go this route...

...Assuming that this has it's own fuse in the male end (I believe they usually do) - I could get something like this...

...remove the male end, and add that to socket #24 (RDO IGN)? And the cold lead would just get grounded off someplace appropriate?

Thanks for your reply kevinpk
Old April 27th, 2013, 7:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Maxx
Hmm... What I'm going for is having my fm transmitter (for my mp3 player) turn off with the stereo when I kill the engine. Actually when you open the door after killing the engine. So if I go this route...

...Assuming that this has it's own fuse in the male end (I believe they usually do) - I could get something like this...

...remove the male end, and add that to socket #24 (RDO IGN)? And the cold lead would just get grounded off someplace appropriate?

Thanks for your reply kevinpk
You can't use the cigarette end in the cigarette lighter with it being key on, it is hot all the time. Thus said what you posted you wanted. I'd strip the plug off with the white covered wire to as I posted the accsesorry side of the keyed on circuit, the ground side screwed to the frame.
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

I think we're on the same page kev. I plug the cigarette end of the multi-tap device into the extension cord. Then strip the other end off of the extension and add it to socket #24 of the fuse panel. Makes sense to me anyway. I'll order the parts tomorrow, and let you know how I fair. Thanks again!