S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1998 S-10 Pickup EVAP Service Port Hose Loose

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2012, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1998 S-10 Pickup EVAP Service Port Hose Loose

Hi All...I just bought a 1998 2.2l 4 cyl pickup. I have been cleaning it up and found a unconnected hose coming off of the EVAP Service port hose. One side(towards front of the truck) goes to a valve on the passenger side of the motor and the other end is unconnected. I have attached a picture. The unconnected hose end is in the top right of the picture.
I just failed a smog test in Colorado for high HC and am wondering if that might be the culprit. I cannot for the life of me find an unconnected port for it to go into. Does anyone have any idea?
I do not show any codes but I do smell some unburned gas from time to time.
Thanks,
Remo
Attached Thumbnails 1998 S-10 Pickup EVAP Service Port Hose Loose-evap-1.jpg  

Last edited by remogw; September 8th, 2012 at 1:52 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
farmerk833@gmail.com (August 21st, 2022)
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update #1

Well the dealer actually gave me the drawings for my Evap System. Who knew?
I have attached what he gave me in the hopes that it may help someone else down the road.
Item 6 on the engine diagram is where my missing connection was. Note that it connects to Item 7 on the same sheet. (This is where my problem was.)
Now Item 7 turns into Item 1 on the fuel system sheet. That goes all the way to the lower port on the charcoal canister.
I have to assume this is why I was smelling raw gas fumes when I was driving. The fuel tank vapors were poring out of the open connection I found about 6 inches from my exhaust header down pipe.
I connected them all together with a new piece of hose and clamps. Now hopefully my P0440 Evap Leak error code which just came on today will soon clear. I will update if I pass my smog test.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 S-10 Pickup EVAP Service Port Hose Loose-s10-evap-diagram-1-small.jpg   1998 S-10 Pickup EVAP Service Port Hose Loose-s10-evap-diagram-2-small.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Ulises Olvera (January 9th, 2021)
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update #2

Well the truck failed the smog re-test.
So yesterday I bought a new catalytic converter, Walker Direct Fit, and gaskets. I took off the old cat today and it seem really light. When I got it down to the ground I noticed that I could see all the way through it! A previous owner had hollowed out the cat for whatever reason and just put it back on. No wonder I was failing the smog test.
I installed the new cat and it fired right up with no codes. No more raw gas smell either.
I plan to get it smog tested in a week or so when I get some fresh gas in there. I just put in some injector cleaner and don't want that to mess up the test.
More to follow...
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed

Just thought I'd chime in and say that I easily passed smog with the new catalytic converter. All of my numbers were very close to zero.
New shocks are next.