S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

'96 blazer stuck in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 blazer stuck in 4x4

Hello, my first post.
Wasn't much of a winter around here in terms of snow but there were a few times I had to use 4hi. The first few times I used it I always re-engaged 2hi immediately after getting free from the snow, and it seemed to work. I tested it by driving into a decent sized unplowed area and stopping in somewhat deep snow and only the rear tires tried to push. After the last storm and snow I had to drive throughI again immediately shifted back to 2hi.

Now I'm certain it is stuck in 4x4. When I take sharp corners while accelerating after a red light I'll hear a front tire burn out slightly. I also tried driving straight back in reverse with a good amount of gas just to see if the front tires would spin, and sure enough they did..

I've tried driving in reverse to unlock the bind (up to +100ft), still no luck. My 4wd shifter is a stick, not the electronic push button. I put the transmission in neutral and shifted through all the 4x4 gears, going through neutral and eventually to 4lo (I heard a slight grinding noise when I did that, also; i hear no noise when switching between 2hi and 4hi, so I'm not sure if it's even trying). Anyways I slammed it back into 2hi, tried doing the reverse thing again with no luck.

Anything else I can do or is this a problem for a mechanic? Can I try going out into sand and shifting back and forth between 4hi and 2hi to see if I can get the front two to stop spinning or something? Does the ground need to have a lot of give to disengage 4x4?

Thanks for any help.