S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

94 s10

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 s10

I'm new to the forum so first off hello everyone. My horn started blowing fuses any ideas why it might be doing this ? Thanks
Old March 10th, 2015, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

I'm guessing the fuse blows when you push the horn button. If so, disconnect the wire(s) from your horn(s), install a new fuse and push your horn button. Pull the fuse, if it is ok then one or both (if you have dual horns) of your horns has a dead short or some other problem that is drawing WAY too much current. If you have dual horns, plug one in and try the test again. If the horn works, the other is bad. If the fuse blows with both wires disconnected, you have a shorted wire somewhere. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old March 11th, 2015, 4:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by coastn
I'm guessing the fuse blows when you push the horn button. If so, disconnect the wire(s) from your horn(s), install a new fuse and push your horn button. Pull the fuse, if it is ok then one or both (if you have dual horns) of your horns has a dead short or some other problem that is drawing WAY too much current. If you have dual horns, plug one in and try the test again. If the horn works, the other is bad. If the fuse blows with both wires disconnected, you have a shorted wire somewhere. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply . Acctually it blew the fuse and as soon as I put in another fuse it blows instaniously as soon as it touches the contacts .
Old March 12th, 2015, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

You have a shorted wire somewhere (or a shorted horn). It seems to me that your shorted wire will be in the power supply wire going to the horn button, since the fuse pops immediately rather than when the horn button os pushed. Unplug the long, flat wire connector at the base of the steering column as well as any other wire connector going up the column, then plug in a fuse if you don't have a meter that tests for continuity. If the fuse does not pop, then your short is inside the steering column. Has anyone had it apart for any reason? There is very little clearance for the wires in the column and that would be the first area I would check.
If the fuse still pops, then your problem is somewhere before the wire connectors at the bottom of the column. Do a visual check of the wires under the dash, check the wires at the fuse block, check the wires that plug into the bottom of the steering column.
To test your horns, remove the wire and run a jumper from the positive battery to the tab where the wire attached and the horn should blow.

Get a meter that will test for continuity and start checking the wires that supply power to your steering column if the above tests don't help you locate the short.

Last edited by coastn; March 12th, 2015 at 9:15 AM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I'll give all the info a shot this weekend
Old March 13th, 2015, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Keep in mind that the short could be anywhere in that circuit. In other words, your fuse for the horn also supplies power to your dome lights, glove box light, vanity mirror, courtesy lights, clock, lighter, power side mirrors and the lift gate release solenoid. If someone put in an aftermarket radio I would look there first as the factory radio was also the clock. Good luck!
Old March 14th, 2015, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by coastn
Keep in mind that the short could be anywhere in that circuit. In other words, your fuse for the horn also supplies power to your dome lights, glove box light, vanity mirror, courtesy lights, clock, lighter, power side mirrors and the lift gate release solenoid. If someone put in an aftermarket radio I would look there first as the factory radio was also the clock. Good luck!
On my s10 truck the horn I believe is no 2 and dome lights are no 3 . I had to take the bulbs out of them and the mirror cause I think the door switch is bad and lights won't shut off . If I take fuse out of dome light I have no dash lights .
Old March 14th, 2015, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Check your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly what things are on what circuit and it'll give you a diagram of the fuse block. I highly doubt the horn is the only thing on that fuse. I pulled the above info from my owner's manual on my '93 Blazer.
Old March 21st, 2015, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default s10 horn

Got the horn among other things working when I replaced. The turn signal switch due to left turn signal not canceling .
Old March 22nd, 2015, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Glad to hear you found the main problem! Congrats.

Quick Reply: 94 s10