S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 Blazer, no power to crankshaft position sensor. Wiring diagram questions.

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2016, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Blazer, no power to crankshaft position sensor. Wiring diagram questions.

Hi,

I've got a few questions on resolving this issue.

The original problem: It cranks but doesn't start.

The process so far: I was able to determine that I've got air flow, good constant fuel pressure, full oil level with pressure registering and responsive at the cluster panel, but no spark. I traced that issue backwards and discovered that I have power to the ignition control module and ignition coil, but no signal coming from the crankshaft position sensor. I investigated that and found that the sensor was dangling, only connected to the vehicle by its wiring. I replaced it but it didn't solve the starting problem. I investigated that and found that there's no power coming in to the sensor at any of the three wires. My next step will be to find the wire that powers it at the VCM and determine whether it's providing juice. But before I do, I have some questions. I've found what I believe to be the right wiring diagram but am having trouble reading it and seem to have some unexpected wires on the vehicle.

Here are my questions: Some GM wiring diagrams I've seen (including one that I need to use now) have a something like "0.5 WHT 423" identifying a wire.

I understand that WHT means that it's a white wire and that 423 is identifying the circuit/component/system it lives in, but what does the 0.5 mean? Also, there's a symbol next to both the VCM and ignition control modules in most diagrams that's triangular with an image of a hand turned downwards and then the hand crossed out.

What does that mean? And my final question is, the wiring diagrams seem to say that the crankshaft position sensor wiring connector should have one pink, one yellow, and one purple wire but mine only has three identical red ones.

What would be your thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance, Everybody. Really appreciate it.