S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Harmonic Balancer Installation

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Installation

I am getting ready to install my harmonic balancer and was curious. Is there supposed to be a gap between the balancer and the crankshaft seal? I didnt look at my other one before I removed it and have not seen any information regarding a gap.
Old April 27th, 2012, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be a minor gap not to rub against the crank snout and timing chain cover. Lube up the center before you slide it on so it moves freely against the snout and then use the center bolt to drive it down and hold it on.
Old April 28th, 2012, 9:57 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, use the proper installation tool to pull the harmonic dampener on. I've known of too many guys who used the center bolt to try and pull it on, only to pull the threads out of the crank instead, or snapped the bolt off. Then you'll have a whole new question to ask here! AutoZone has the tool in their free tool loaner program.
I'm not quite following you about where the gap is. If you mean between the rubber seal and the seal surface of the dampener, no there shouldn't be a gap. If there was, you'll have a terrible oil leak.
Old April 28th, 2012, 6:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! I ve never heard of that. Pulling the threads off the crank? But I guess anything is possible. Ok, sure Autozone has that tool for $45. Wow, and I ve been doing it Caveman Style for so long, dang. Haha!

Didnt ask, but did you replace the front oil seal and timing chain also? Water pump also since it is all easy to do it now and at once. It doesnt say what you did overall to the motor so I m guessing you are doing a rebuild?