S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Just bought it and had trouble coming home. After about 30 miles it started missing

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2016, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought it and had trouble coming home. After about 30 miles it started missing

I had to play with the accelerator to get to a pull-over. After a short (5 minute) rest it mad the fast 5 miles home without a hitch. I was sure the fuel filter had clogged from sitting, but resting doesn't unclog filters does it? If it where older I would say the coil was breaking down. I just got this thing and don't even know if it has a coil. The "Check Engine" light came on just as I turned down our road. It is a 1998 S-10 with the v6/ac/automatic. When you press the gas pedal it dies out and re-fires when you let off. Once you get some speed it cruises just fine, but the longer it runs the worse it is. Finally was down to 15 mph just before I pulled over. Any thoughts before we end up broke down along the road. Answers here, on Facebook (Brother.Ron.Ward) or email fine.

Last edited by Ron Ward; July 11th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 11th, 2016, 9:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome! Please post model, year, motor and more specific description of what it did - felt like, sounded like, etc - you will get some pretty good help here the more info you give the smart guys (not me!)
Old July 13th, 2016, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default additional info

Today I noticed that when it get to running really bad, all I have to do is pull over, shut it off, then restart the engine and drive on down the road. This happens about every 10-20 miles. The check engine soon light is on. I had a tune-up done today, plugs, dist cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter and air filter. the plug-in computer says something about the ABS system and no other codes.
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

You mention it was sitting - how long/how old is the gas in the tank?
Old July 14th, 2016, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default what I know ...

It was an auction truck ... has been used for hauling a heavy load in the bed. It didn't actually sit idle for a long time, weeks maybe. I filled a nearly empty tank when I got is and refilled it this morning. I am getting 17-18 MPG. It is showing 200K + and I have no knowledge of the maintainance history. The aut parts store put a computer on it and it shows 2 error codes, both for O2 sensors. Can these cause the problems I am experiencing. The mechanic pulled the plug for the mass airflow sensor and the engine died instantly. He said that was a good thing. If it was a 50s - 60s truck I would have it going by now, but I just don't have a handle on these newer ones. Thanks for the interest.
Old July 15th, 2016, 7:05 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds like it could be a fuel issue. Have you checked the fuel pressure your fuel pump is putting out? The pump is in the fuel tank and it has a sock/filter on the end of the pickup. The sock can get clogged up when pump creates suction by pumping fuel and then because the pickup is clogged up the engine will start running rough. Shutting the engine off will allow the built up vacuum to dissipate and allow fuel to flow again.