S10 & Blazer DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions pertaining to S10s and Blazers.

Power Window Problem on 1987 s10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Problem on 1987 s10 Blazer

The driver's side control, which controls both windows has stopped working on my '87 s10 Blazer. It stopped working on both windows, intermittently failing initially, then completely stopping.

The passenger side control still works fine, for the passenger side only (obviously). Where I'm confused is that if I unplug the driver's side control, the passenger side stops working.

That being the case, how can the driver's side control not still work on at least the passenger side window?

All I could come up with was a bad switch on the driver's door, despite the switch seeming okay when checked with a continuity meter.

I replaced the switch and it behaves exactly like the old one. No control on the driver's side for either window. Passenger control continues to work, but only if the driver's switch is plugged in.

What am I missing here?
Old June 1st, 2016, 7:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did you check for power and grd at the window motor? If you have power and grd to the window motor, the motor is nfg. hold the switch on an tap the window motor with a hammer, if the window moves, the motor brushes are worn.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tech2. I finally sorted it out. I could find no voltage but the passenger window still worked because the passenger side gets power routed separately (from the same breaker) then grounds out through the driver's side switch.

The pink power wire was missing, but I knew it used to work, and I knew nobody had been inside the door.

Long story short, somebody spliced a length of black wire into the pink line-- no idea why, and the splice and color change started between the kick panel and the door, in that rubber accordion tube that keeps the wires dry. Well, the splice broke, and the place where it changes back to pink from black inside the door was in a hidden location.

Before I was done, I had to repair quite a few old splices with frayed wire sticking out. I'm glad to have it all solved now-- hard to believe what a project that turned into!

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I really appreciate your trying.