Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

sparks once

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2016, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sparks once

Hey everybody I need help my truck has no spark or more accurately it Sparks Once and never Sparks again when I turn it over please help I need it for work. I have bought a new crankshaft position sensor I have checked every module and sensor out with an ohms meter don't know where else to look has anyone ever had an issue where it has a spark but only once when initially turning it over. 1998 silverado v6
Old September 21st, 2016, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

please. anyone?
Old September 21st, 2016, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

How are you checking for spark? What color is the spark, yellow, white?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

is whiteish blue. this is a new motor. the old one ran just before I pulled it out. I've tried everything I cannot figure this out it's so weird I just get one spark and then nothing. I have replaced every sensor and coil.stabbed distributor 3x thinking maybe it won't spark if it's not installed correctly is this true. Now I did clean the intake manifold I'm wondering if maybe solvent got inside where the plug is would that be a problem?

Last edited by Fred Flinstone; September 22nd, 2016 at 5:48 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 6:54 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, back track. When did it stop running? What was done prior?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

I put a rebuilt motor from O'Reilly in . the old motor never stoped running. it had a blown head gasket possibly a cracked block but it ran really good. I had both old and new motor side by side in my garage. Then I transferred everything from the old motor on to the new motor. After installation I plugged everything in. It did not start. I then immediately check for spark I found that it had only one sparked once each time you tried to start the motor. I ran a code reader on it it said crank position sensor. I replace that. Along with all the other sensors ICM coil pick up coil distributor cap rotor. I also Reese stabbed the distributor a few times one tooth one way or the other. The code reader says crank position sensor. The crank position sensor sends a signal only once each time i try to start the truck.That's where I'm stuck. What would make it do that. Oh yes also I took the whole front of the motor apart to check the reluctor ring and it is fine.

Last edited by Fred Flinstone; September 22nd, 2016 at 8:24 PM.
Old September 25th, 2016, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

this is a tough one huh. Change the computer today too. Still same thing when I turn it over and I'll spark once never spark again
Old September 25th, 2016, 3:18 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Fred Flinstone
this is a tough one huh. Change the computer today too. Still same thing when I turn it over and I'll spark once never spark again
I'd recommend replacing the CPS, I know you replaced it, but new dosen't mean good.
Old September 25th, 2016, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Actually have replaced it twice thinking maybe I got a bad one the first time. But my question is if the crank position sensor is bad will it allow me to have one Spark each time I turn the key.
Old September 26th, 2016, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

YES i got it running. turned over by hand while checking crank sensor for 5 volts on and off .... again .done this twice now. and realized i did not hear fuel pump coming on and off. You would never believe it but the new timing cover I bought was too thick. Not allowing the sensor to come close enough contact with the reluctor ring. I sanded down installation hole a little and installed the sensor. And it ran!!! cant believe that one.