Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Silverado no blower

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2014, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Silverado no blower

Speeds 4 and 5 stopped working shortly after I bought the truck 2 years ago. The blower stopped working completely about a month ago. Since then I've done the following:

1. Replaced resistor. The plug on the old resistor melted, so I had to splice a new plug in. All 7 wires were spliced accordingly. I plugged the new resistor into the blower, but no go.

2. Figured maybe the blower went, too, so I bought a new one. Plugged the new blower in, but still no go.

3. Checked all fuses related to the blower and HVAC. Every fuse is intact. Can a 40W fuse look intact but still be bad?

At this point I'm out of ideas and going crazy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Could it possibly be the ****/switch on the dash has gone bad?
Old March 17th, 2014, 7:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering what you have already done,I would suspect the HVAC control panel itself...It simply unplugs with 2 connectors once the dash fascia is removed.

You could also test one from a friends truck of same model year. Literally 5 minutes to remove.

I believe the 03' to 06' models were much more prone to failure than the earlier 99' to 02' versions.

E-bay or a wrecking yard could be a good option
Old March 29th, 2014, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Bought a voltmeter. Pulled the climate control module out of the dash. Tested the incoming black plug and I have power coming to the module. I also tested the resistance of all five speeds on the module. Had a 000 (good) reading on all, including the OFF position. So I plugged the module back in and tested the newly spliced in plug to the resistor. I have power coming through the G terminal (terminals A-F have nothing but I think that's irrelevant). Now, when I plug it into the new resistor and test the plug that attaches to the blower motor, I get nothing. I guessed that this new resistor I installed is either faulty right from the box or I fried it somehow when I plugged it in. So I bought another new resistor.

Something I should mention is that when I found I had power on the G terminal, I had the fan speed **** in the OFF position. Should I be getting power at all? I don't want to plug in the 2nd new resistor and have the same thing happen as the 1st one.
Old March 29th, 2014, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

67Motorcat, thank you for the suggestions. Considering the part from O'Reillys or NAPA is $115 plus a $200 core charge , the junkyard is looking like a more affordable option.