Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

04 C\K - Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement

Old May 4th, 2009, 5:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 04 C\K - Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement

This is in response to a PM I received, but I am posting it here for others to see

I have an 04 Silverado LS 5.3L dual climate control (not digital). The driver's side actuator for the blend door started "clicking" it has since stopped and now I have very hot air coming out of the vents. The passenger side works fine. I have been digging all over the internet to find diagrams but have had no success. I have heard that the actuator have plastic gears in them that easily strip out. Would it be possible to give me an idea how hard this will be to replace? Do I have to pull the dash? I saw your calibration steps to listed for the Uplander do I have to perform a calibration (w/o a scan tool) on my truck?

Sounds like the actuator has been stripped. It is pretty easy to change, and calibrating it does not need a scan tool. I'll post instructions with pics

Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement - Left Side

Removal Procedure

Notice: In order to avoid actuator damage, DO NOT apply power to the actuator when it is not installed in the HVAC module.
  1. Remove the I/P insulator panel.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  2. Remove the screws from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  3. Remove the left air temperature actuator (2) from the HVAC module assembly (3).
Installation Procedure
  1. Install the left air temperature actuator (2) to the HVAC module assembly (3).
  2. Install the screws to the left air temperature actuator (2). Tighten Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).
  3. Install the electrical connector (1) to the left air temperature actuator (2).
  4. Install the I/P insulator panel.
  5. Reprogram the left air temperature actuator.

Last edited by shawnvw; May 4th, 2009 at 5:51 PM.
Old May 4th, 2009, 5:51 PM
Banned

Actuator Recalibration

When replacing the HVAC control module it will be necessary to allow the HVAC control module to perform a calibration process. When installing the HVAC control module be sure to perform the following:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.
  1. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the scan tool.
  3. Install the HVAC control module.
  4. Connect all previously disconnected components.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  7. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.
When replacing the HVAC actuator it will be necessary to allow the HVAC control module to perform a calibration process. When installing the HVAC actuator be sure to perform one of the following:
Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

Preferred Method (w/ Scan Tool)
  1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. With the scan tool, initiate the Motor Re-calibration feature of the Heating and Air Conditioning Special Functions menu.
  7. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  5. Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
  6. Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
  7. Start the vehicle.
  8. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  9. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

Last edited by shawnvw; May 4th, 2009 at 5:54 PM.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn, My 04 Sub has hot air thru drivers side only when AC on cold. all others work fine, GM dealer was going to R & R actuator but was refused by our aftermarket warr. is the d/side temp actuator the one shown above? are there more than 1? Disco-ed battery to try to reset it for now.
Old June 19th, 2009, 5:02 PM
Banned

the instruction show how to do the Left side.....drivers side = left side
Old June 19th, 2009, 6:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks ShawnVW.

I may be needing this myself soon.
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the info i really needed it too, but where and how to i get to the I/P insulator panel???? will this work for 2004 yukon xl???

Last edited by firefighter553; June 20th, 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot to give specific vehicle
Old June 20th, 2009, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

Vote for sticky, ill be needing it shortly, my pass side door keeps getting stuck.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default passenger side 04 suburban

do you have instructions on how to replace the passenger side a/c door actuator..i have a digital dual climate, and my air just starting blowing out hot air only on the passengerside..thanks
Old July 1st, 2009, 6:01 PM
Banned

The I\P insulator panel is the first thing you see when you stick your head under the dash.

The right side actuator require the removal of the entire dash down to the heater box. Huge job if you're up for it
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

im up for it,,how do i remove the whole thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 C\K - Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement