Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Chevy

Hey guys im looking for some decent upgrades for my 04 2500HD, has the 6.0 gas. Im getting 8 miles to a gallon so i would like to get more. Been looking at cold air intake, throttle body/spacer, and mass sensor. Also exhaust and a chip or tuner. Any suggestions that will give me the most mileage for my money? Im about to have surgery on my knee so ill plenty of time to spend working on my truck.
Old June 19th, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BIGDB77
Hey guys im looking for some decent upgrades for my 04 2500HD, has the 6.0 gas. Im getting 8 miles to a gallon so i would like to get more. Been looking at cold air intake, throttle body/spacer, and mass sensor. Also exhaust and a chip or tuner. Any suggestions that will give me the most mileage for my money? Im about to have surgery on my knee so ill plenty of time to spend working on my truck.
I too am in Tulsa. What ratio is your differential?
Old June 19th, 2012, 5:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

prolly a 4.10 ratio. Don't get a Throttle body spacer or a mass air flow sensor. They're useless and usually called paper weights.

Get an intake for sure with a good filter, cut off the stock exhaust and run a free flowin muffler, then get a custom tune. Not a chip(JET) or a tuner(bully dog, superchip, hypertech, etc.) They won't do much if anything for you compared to a custom tune. I've been through it all and have done lots of readin and my setup is a intake, longtube headers, exhaust, lower gears, and tune on 35s and a 6" suspension/1.5" body lift. I get around 14 mpg with that setup easy.

Drivin havits play a big part in it as well, also when's the last time you've done a tune up on that truck? 8mpg seems way low even for a 6.0 with 4.10s. My buddy's gets around 11-12 mpg with the same setup and 4wd
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

It was my dads truck and he just did a tune it before he gave it to me. it does have the 4.10 gearing. You think the work package has anything to do with it? I mean ive changed the oil tune up and all that and still only 8. i eventually plan on building the motor and making it more performance but i need to do something now cause gas is hurting the wallet. haha
Old June 20th, 2012, 2:19 PM
Super Moderator

Somethin isn't right then lol. Any codes? Clean the mass air flow sensor and get a new filter(or cold air intake). What plugs did you use?
Old June 20th, 2012, 3:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by country_09
Somethin isn't right then lol. Any codes? Clean the mass air flow sensor and get a new filter(or cold air intake). What plugs did you use?
I concur. Was it this mileage before? Plugs might not be right.
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Active Member

Check your tac and make sure your going into overdrive. I get 11-12 mpg on the highway and have gotten as high as mid 13's on the interstate. Alot if around town driving gets me in the 9's.
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:56 AM
CF Beginner

i dont know what kind of plugs he used, and thanks for the idea of cleaning the mass air flow sensor. Ill probably go ahead and order a cold air for it here in a few days. haha and im going to check and see what plugs and all that he used.
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:10 PM
Super Moderator

If they're not ac delco iridium or ngk tr55s, take em out and use these one of these two plugs
Old June 21st, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Active Member

I put a K&N CAI on mine 04 6.0L and can tell you that if your lookin for mileage OR performance out of a CAI then your not going to be very happy. If you get anything it will not be noticeable but you will get alot of extra noise on heavy throttle pressure and it will change your exhaust sound to a more aggressive note. Do as country says and spend the least amount possible otherwise your just wasting money.