Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'04 Silverado front end clunk bang ouch!

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Silverado front end clunk bang ouch!

I have an '04 Silverado crew cab longbed 3500 SRW Duramax automatic 4x4 90,000 mi., when I turn the steering wheel too far to the left OR right I get a clunk and it's like it is enough to stop the forward or backward motion of the truck. I replaced all the u-joints and the carrier bearing in the driveline due to wear and have now noticed this problem (something I could have done???) I'm afraid to turn my wheels too far in fear that it may just ...break
The only way I can describe the 'feeling' is to talk about my old dodge that I had. When I would have the four wheel drive engaged and turn my wheels too sharp I could feel the clunk clunk of the wheels turning.
I have electronic four wheel drive so I have no choice but to trust the button. My steering whines when I turn right BUT NOT LEFT!!!! I fished a tournament last weekend and was watching my co-angler back my trailer into a spot and I could hear the clunk bang from 300' away!
I'll level you guys. I check in now and then to see whats going on, maybe I can learn something. I can't share any mechanic advice besides what I learn from here but if anyone needs any bass fishing advice I can help you with that!!!
Need more info? PLEASE ask, I need to fix this.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread might have your answer.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2004-silverado-steering-clunk-again-21935/
Old April 21st, 2009, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

fsh4fun05,
Well your wrong about 1 thing, Chevy's are for pulling muskie boats ! not bass
anyway, Everyone I spoke to agrees that the intermediate steering arm on the chevy's are the problem, I just ordered one from NAPA and am probably going to replace it this weekend, So if you can wait for a day or two, I'll let you know if this was the problem or not.
My truck has a clunking noise when moving when I make even the slightest turn, either right or left. When I am going strait ahead, I dont hear it. But the slightest movment of the steering wheel causes the noise. Mine is not as loud as you are describing with your truck though.
I had a 81 1/2 ton with lock out hubs that made that loud clunk when backing up like you described, Mine was the lock in/out hub being frooze up and not disengaging.
i'll let ya know about the steering arm pretty soon and hopefully thats all the problem is.
Craig
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a finger full of grease on the steering stops
Old April 22nd, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

You guys are awesome, even the guy with the musky boat, lol. Oh, and what is a steering stop??? I've dealt with all sorts of problems ever since my first truck but have never had any steering problems until now. I look at it as a learning experience...it's either that or throw a temper tantrum!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you turn the wheel to full lock a stop touches the control arm you will be able to see the rust rub mark. I am 90% sure that is your problem, very common. You almost describe it exactly.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default same problem

fish4fun, I have the same problem on my '04 2500HD. mine is real loud like u talk about and I got the impression from reading other posts that the intermediate steering shaft was not so loud & jerking. Did replacing it fix your problem.