Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 Classic front hub/ bearing question

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Classic front hub/ bearing question

I have a 2007 2500 HD 4x4 classic that has some up and down wobble in the left front wheel. I am assiming it is the bearings or the hub. I have not taken it apart yet, and I really dont want to until I get my parts, so its not sitting in the driveway in pieces. My question is can I just replace the bearing or do I have to replace the whole hub. I have found both on the internet, but only want to have to buy/ship it once.

Any guidence would be appreciated, Tom
Old May 24th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your front end is the same as mine (and I think it is), the repair consists of replacing the entire hub. Not that big of a deal. I just went thru the job. Did some research ahead of time and I will pass to you what I learned.

Buy nothing but Timken brand hubs. I found mine on the duramax forum. Theres a store called "the duramax" store that had the best price. Couple hundred a piece maybe less. Dealer was WAY higher and also uses Timken.

Not a big job but you need some beefy tools. Remove big nut (under this tin cap) at the end of the half shaft, remove smaller bolts (like a 15 mm) behind the hub. Unplug some sensor and tap it out.

Obviously you need to remove caliper and rotor. I did both sides in about 2 hours never doing it before. Worst of it was not having the 15 mill socket sitting square on one of the bolts. Be careful and use a fresh socket and keep it square

If your doing this I can probably save you some money. I changed mine looking for a driveline vibration and missdiagnosed it. Am sitting on an entire lot of good used parts for this truck I would not hesitate to install on another one. Good used hubs, rotors and pads. All factory GM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I needed to know. Ordered one this morning. Thanks