Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 7:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

1983 C10 brake bleeding trouble.

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 C10 brake bleeding trouble.

Hello all! New and great to be here. Just acquired the above mentioned model for a steal. ( 400$) had a few issues and they were gonna scrap it. Runs a bit rough til it warms up a bit then it just purrs!! (305 engine) any who it had a stuck piston in the passenger side caliper. Managed to get it home. ( that was an ordeal) and get it setup for a brake overhaul few evening later new calipers and pads are installed and I'm ready to bleed the system. Now I get started and was only going to bleed the front for the moment. I know how to properly bleed just was anxious to make sure everything was going to work. I will go back and do it in the proper order the farthest from the master. I didn't figure that would hurt anything as long as I went back and did it properly. All said and done the driver side bled fine but no fluid to the passenger. Later that evening after I had given up for the night I realized I completely forgot about the combination valve. The book says to hold it open when disc brakes are involved. Could this be why I couldn't get fluid to the pass. Caliper or does anyone have any other suggestions. Maybe the out of order method. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long explanation.

P.S. the book said NOTHING about the banjo bolts on the calipers for removal. I overhauled a blazer of mine twice and that book same brand clearly stated to mark its relationship. I did not this time. Seeing as how that's an important step and the book didn't mention it I didn't do it. Hopefully I didn't need to go with my gut and should have done it anyway.

Last edited by Matt83C10; June 26th, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old June 27th, 2013, 5:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hardest part of bleeding the front brakes is remembering to keep the master cylinder full.

Just crack the bleed screw, sit back and wait for gravity to fill the caliper; when you see fluid, you're done with that side.

Now, if you aren't getting any oil at all, I'd sure suspect that hose. They have a bad habit of collapsing inside and totally shutting off the flow.

Allan
Old June 27th, 2013, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan thanks for the input. So you don't think me skipping the combo valve step or the banjo bolt has any negative effect? I did suspect the hoses. The one I got fluid out of is done for the other was in OK shape. I was already going to replace them later. Prolly just go ahead and do it now for preventative purposes.