Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 chevy k1500 350 problems

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2006, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1990 chevy k1500 350 problems

O.K. I replaced the computer and the plugs....they were black and had some build up on them. I started the truck tonight and it ran fine for 15 min( a sputter here and there). then it started dumping gas again...got it to start back and it eventually went back to normal for a while and then started dumping gas again...I'm basically back to square one,...any help would be appreciated
Old December 30th, 2006, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

A while back I had a problem with my 1993 GMC 5.7230,000 miles at the time. It would run fine and then go through spells when it would not idle. During these spells the injectors did the oppositeof yours, they would not spray at all. I had spark and could start the engine by pouring a small amount of gas down the TBI throat. My first thought was fuel pressure. I don't own a pressure guage and a new pump costs less than the guage so I got a new pump. That didn't fix it. I tested all of the sensors thinking that they were sending wrong info to the computer and causing it to shut thefuel off but everything tested fine. I changed the fuel pressure regulator and disassembled and cleaned the throttle body again with no luck. Finally after a lot of reading and studying wiring diagrams I determined that the computer gets some of its information from the pickup coil in the distrubutor. I changed this 10-15 dollar part and still had no luck. I did notice while I had the distrubutor out of the engine that I could feel a magnetic pulse(kinda like when you turn a small DC motor by hand)when the distributor shaft was rotated but this "feel" was pretty weak. So as a last ditch effort I went to O'Reilly's and got a new distributor. Before I left the store I turned its shaft and could feel a very definite and strong resistance from the internal magnets. I knew I had it licked at this point. I installed it and it has worked fine ever since. I found a Haynes manual and multi-meter very helpful in checking the sensors. I also have a Chiltons manual and found it to be incorrect on many items.
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
CF Junior Member

I Have finally found the problem...It was a defective coolant sensor..a $20 part that was causing all the problems...
Thank Y'all very much for your help
Old August 25th, 2011, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I have a 1990 k1500 z71 5 speed manual trans with 276 thousand miles(runs great most the time) and I was driving to work the other day and it started to sputer then died. then after work me and my dad looked at it and we smelt gas. I floored it and started it and it fired up but sputtered then to drive it home I had to feather the gas and try and keep a good flow(it died a few times) then when I got home I pulled the filter and looked some more. I also have a 88 chevy with like 88 thousand miles. I took the map sensor from that and put it on my 1990 and it started just fine and idled. I then turned it off and did it again, then I put the air filter back on and tried to start it and NO GO! So at this point I am even more upset! So I went and bought a cts and replaced it and NO GO! I am getting a good spark and fuel. (changed my oil two weeks ago and its flooded so I have to change it again too!) But anyways I havent replaced the injectors yet but dad doesnt think thats it! Soo what should I do? I saw that the distributor worked for you so I may try that... UGH i need it running by tomorrow or the next day because I move into my appartment and would like to have my truck to move my stuff... pls help if any other hints...
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default yo peeps i have a problem

my tuck chevy sierra 1990 is doing someting weird wen i put in reverse and in drive he want go off if i dont give gas he sut off what is my problem