Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 c1500 jerks when driving

Old March 26th, 2013, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 c1500 jerks when driving

Hello there guys First time on the forums, but hoping that someone might be able to give me a little information.

i have 1995 c1500 305 5.0L. About a month or two ago i noticed that when i started to push on the accelerator a little from a stop, or cruising on highway speeds i'd get a little jerk here and there. Now when i'm driving taking off my engine bogs down and jumps a little down the road, and when i get it up to higher rpms the jerking goes away. I've tried several things to fix this...

Rebuild Fuel Regulator
Replaced Fuel Filter
Tested Fuel Pressure (Running within range)
Tested Catalytic Converter
Replaced EGR valve (just today!)
Ran a little seafoam through gas
checked vacuum lines (dont have a tester, cant get one for a while lines seem all stable)

The only thing left is to really get a vacuum gauge, test them, and maybe buy new injectors or rebuild them (i have a kit). I'm on the edge of taking it to a shop, but i dont really want to if i can get away with it! Plugs and wires relatively new (last year) and the plugs seem to tell me it is running a little lean (white-ish electrode). The wires all seem fine, dont believe that they are grounding to the engine at all. I don't have a ton of money so i can't just keep throwing stuff at it hoping to fix it, i need a few opinions.

thank you very much !
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

I would check the injectors. The same thing happened on my 95 k1500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel and it turned out being the injectors. They are very precise and even a small difference could make it surge like that. How many miles are on the truck?
Old March 28th, 2013, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

i'm sitting at about 185k, they seem to spray fine (TBI, can look down into them), but i'm not sure... I've also noticed a while back before it was doing this my intake manifold had a slight leak, but everywhere i read it's a rough idle when it's that. I finally just took it to a shop and even they can't figure it out, i suppose i'll ask them if maybe the injectors or intake leak see if that helps at all

thanks
Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: FIXED IT!!!
I decided to just rebuild the injectors... hope it works... i pulled the driverside one out and rebuilt it and then moved to the passenger....
when i pulled the passenger side one out the seat of the injector has bits of sludge in it (looked more like paste) so i sprayed some carb cleaner in it rebuilt that injector and put it together... just remember to hook up your TPS back up or you'll think you did it completely wrong! lol
Old April 4th, 2013, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Im glad to hear you fixed it! You may want to run a can of seafoam or injector cleaner in it every time you change your oil. I prefer seafoam but anything is better than nothing. It seems to do a good job at keeping them clean and keeping the idle and running smooth.