Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 Silverado heating issues.

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2013, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1995 Silverado heating issues.

This is my first post, and I joined this site to get further information.

5 days ago (at the time of this post), I was on my way to college, and had heat the whole way there. I had heat on my return trip, until about 3/4 a mile from my home. (Since I have owned the truck, I have always had hot air, no matter what the dial is set to, or where the doors are set to.) All it did was blow frigid air. Since this started, I have replaced the thermostat (it was not long for this world anyways). My heater core hoses are fine, with no leaks, cracks, they heat up the way they should, my heater core is fine, it is circulating as it should be. I started looking at the heater controls in the dash, and got a new (used) one, and changed them, to no avail. I was then lead to look at the actuators, specifically, the blend door actuator. Apparently there are three in the truck. I removed the mode door actuator, and the blend air actuator, took it apart and examined inside for any signs of damage. They appear to be intact. I then manually moved the shaft that sticks out to move the doors around, and I do not feel any grinding, or any other obstructions in the system. I put the blend door actuator back in, after manually moving the shaft to only heat option. I opened the actuator and moved the main gear so it lines up with the shaft, and did NOT plug it in. (In fear that the actuator would energize and move the doors on me.) (It is very cold where I live). My BIGGEST question is, is how do I make it so that I can control my climate the WAY its supposed to be? The fan motor works, until you turn it all the way up, then it de-energizes. Turning the temperature **** does not seem to have any effect, and turning the **** to select where the air comes from does not seem to have any effect. Im plumb out of ideas on how to go about fixing this. I would like it so that my climate control functions properly. Im no mechanic, but Im pretty good at figuring things out, and would like to avoid taking it to a shop to have it fixed. (Its a matter of pride on that). Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old December 8th, 2013, 9:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You could have several different problems. You say the heater hoses are good. Do both of them get hot. If only one gets hot then you could have a clogged heater core and it would have to be flushed out. The actuators are very touchy and have to be put back together in a certain way so that everyuthing is in sync with the door it is operating. Energizing them without being installed throws them out opf sync.
Old December 8th, 2013, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, the heater core hoses are good. They both get very warm to the touch. And I wont energize the actuators without them being installed. Im looking for information on how to make my climate control system function the way its supposed to. Its currently rigged up to only put heat into the cab. All summer long, I was putting heat into the cab. I dont have A/C in the truck, the compressor was removed from under the hood.
Old December 11th, 2013, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to my problem. I do currently have heat in the truck, after dis-engaging the blend door actuator. But I would still like to fix the problem of why my climate control system will not work.