Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1996 silverado z71 wont start

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 4:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1996 silverado z71 wont start

so im starting a new thread since the whole situation has changed. basically someone stole my oil cap and i drove about 120 miles before realizing it was gone. i just had a new motor put in my truck less than a year ago, i dont know if driving that long with no oil cap would have hurt the engine. but anyways, i got a new oil cap and put some more oil in it.... i was driving home and then just lost all oil pressure. i was about a mile away, so i babied it the rest of the way home and right as i turned into my driveway it died. after it died i let it cool down, seen that it was yet again low on oil so i added another quart.. i tried starting it and it would start right up run like crap then die. (also note that it was turning over really slow) i replaced the spark plugs seeing that they looked pretty much fowled. tried starting again it did the same thing as before i tried to keep it running by messing with the gas pedal i got it to run for about 30 seconds.. it was running really really rough then it died. after that it would turn over at a decent speed then start turning really super slow. now it just turns really super slow and may spit or sputter but no attempt at starting. did i maybe completley screw the engine by babying home or trying to start it? when it ran for the 30 seconds the oil pressure gause was reading 40 psi? but why nothing now? i have a feeling that the motor is toast but i dont want to pay someone hundreds of dollars to tell me it is. im pretty mechanically inclined im just hoping there is something i can do to keep it going. any help or info that could help me get her going would be great... thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 1996 silverado z71 wont start-1996.jpg  
Old February 18th, 2012, 4:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard that a failed oil pump can make your gauge read crazy things and make the truck not run right, could that be the case?