Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1997 Chevrolet pickup running rough.

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P0302

That ought to be a good guide to see what we may have missed so far. Fuel injectors, maybe?
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Suzuki-guy,
I replace only one, but it clear “
P0135” why do I have to replace all?
Old June 1st, 2009, 9:44 AM
CF Active Member

If one of the O2 sensors was setting off the P0135 code, then its possible you're having a misfire from another O2 senser going awry.
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed
Old June 1st, 2009, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Po302 is cylinder #2 misfire. An bad o2 sensor will not cause that problem. You need to look plugs, plug wires, distributor cap,fuel injector on a vac leak, all on cylinder #2. Also some of you codes may not return until you complete a OBDII drive cycle and the readiness monitors are set. So just because they are gone it does not mean they will not return after you drive for a while.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Blindsight, probably you right (special when Suzuki-guy agreed with you) today I don't have time work on the truck, but reading and try to understand little more about O2 sensor, MDTAHOE I hope the code don't return, I worry about P0135 code first then P0302 or hope (and pray, I promise to go to church this weekend with my wife if the truck get fix, just kidding) fix P0135 and P032 will go away.

Last edited by mrht; June 1st, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile before I joined, and I've seen some bad advice given.

The one person people should really pay attention to is MDTAHOE, he has the knowledge and experience to help repair what ails our vehicles. We are darned lucky to have a source of experience and information to tap into, and he gives it freely.

I realize people are trying to help, however, many times confusion and frustration are created. Many people aren't mechanically inclined nor diagnostically astute, and we do them a disservice by throwing out repair ideas that don't match the symptoms. This in turn makes people spend more money and time than is necessary.

I believe we should take a simple approach to the problems that pop up, keep to the basics, then seek solid advice when the problem is beyond our scope.

MDTAHOE is an asset, and his advice should be heeded.

Last edited by Shifferbrains; June 2nd, 2009 at 5:59 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 7:02 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I too agree that MDTAHOE is a excellent knowledge base as are many others on this forum, that said everyone even the experts are only able to do so much via written words without seeing the vehicle as everyone's inturpritaions are different.
The forum wouldn't work if it wasn't for the various input and ideas that folks have, sometimes outside the box thinking can put you on the right track, and everyone wants to try and be helpful.

The idea of the forum is to get you to thinking and looking at the problem from different prospectives, its up to the person doing the repairs to use that knowledge to make a judgement based on that input.

that and if someone does offer bad advice hopefully someone will step up and explain why that think that that may not be the best course of action... and then everyone learns something...
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:46 AM
CF Active Member

Shifferbrains; the nature of internet forums is to ask for opinions, and when you're dealing with opinions, some are going to address the problem and some are going to be shots in the dark. Any advice given on an internet forum has to be taken with a grain of salt; they're simply suggestions, not answers.

I agree with in2pro though, even if someone gives bad advice, everyone will learn from it.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Yesterday I run the truck around a block then check the code again, and it still only have P0302 (other code not come back) but I don't think or know why cylinder #2 misfire can be that bad, when at idle it missing little bit then smooth out at high RPM, but when driving it worsen then just missing on 1 cylinder? It lost power, fell like timing retard, surging when step on gas…So this weekend I will take all O2 sensor out to check ohm (resistant) of each sensor, check power (volt) to it, then will check injector…I used to be a mechanic about 15 yrs ago when car was simple, just tune up and adjust a carburetor then the car should run good (if compression is good) Now I lost in those electronic, O2 sensor…yes, I appreciate and take advice, option from everybody then do the testing myself before decide to buy anything (can’t return those). I still have other car to go to work, so I just have to take time and patient (sometimes I do feel frustrate want to quit but I can’t) with this one and learn new thing as I go.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>

Quick Reply: 1997 Chevrolet pickup running rough.