Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

1997 chevy 1500 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

otherwise, there is a TSB out for a similar situation. The ABS will kick in at extremely low speeds, like when you're pulling up to the end of a parking space and trying to stop. Either the front wheel bearings can be worn/loose or rust builds up behind the wheel speed sensor and pushes it out of the hub assy. making it not always read the reluctor ring at low speeds. I believe the TSB only lists newer trucks (99-04) but I've seen the same condition on older ones also.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Like others on all the sites the same problem soft peddle . I've bled them 2x power myself then had my son pump bleed them no change. took it to a mechanic he power bled them same result. took the truck to a former GM mechanic he coulden't find any thing wrong but thought it might be the rubber lines balooning. Had him change them and re bleed the lines same result $380.00. took it to to a well known safety center he checked it out and everything looked good . power bled w/diognostic tool to cycle abs module while bleeding. He thinks it might be the ABS module $780 + labor maybe will fix it. NOT HAPPINING . $1300. later 98 silverado 4x4 is now a ranch truck.and new K2500 in driveway. I'm not gonna kill some inocent family w/ lousy brakes. WHERES THE MECHANICS THEY ARE ALL PARTS CHANGERS !!!!! Glad I got that off my chest I feel better
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have soft brakes as I mentioned in my earlier post, but I did have a dang ABS issue where it would go off as I was stopping at slow speeds. I replaced all the front end brakes, Bled them professionally and blew out the senors, There was NO ABS light on in the cabin. After doing all this the ABS sensors would only act up on the very last couple of inches while stopping. Instead of replacing the ABS module, I simply took out the 60 amp fuse to the whole module under the hood. So basically I am driving a 1987 GMC instead of a '97. The brakes work perfect because they are now manual. When I go in for a sticker this year I will simply replace the fuse for the inspection, and then out again it comes! * Drives and looks like new, but I;ll be D*mned to be spending more money on bad design, failed system for a 97 GMC with 130K. I realize I can probably replace sensors and it may or may not fix the problem, but to be totally honest, I enjoy the feeling of brakes without ABS! * I hope this helps someone with the same issues.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

How can I check if the abs module is bad?
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:57 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys here is what i did. I called the first brake repair shop in the yellow pages and got a guy that jumped through hoops and called a GMC dealer in the area. called me back and set me up.I took it to the Dealer and the service rep put two guys that own a 97-98 respectavly. they totaly checked it out and bled the antilock module and they are alot better. they stop slow-fast but still have a soft feel. According to them they are good no mechanical problems. The moral is bit the bullitt and take it to someone that knows and has all the tools to do it right . cost $125.00 half of what I payed each of the PARTS CHANGERS!!!!!!!!! Equinox and 2500HD going to concord Ca for service thanks Brian ps I was told that the module usually isn't bad unless you are pulling a code or ABS light is on

Last edited by 56bert49; April 6th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Soft Brakes

Thanks everyone for posting on this topic. It's been very helpful.

A coworker had a 1999 Suburban which had the weird ABS issue right as he was stopping. Turned out one of the sensor cables on the front right was damaged. Replaced and it works.

My current issue is a 1997 C1500 who's ABS light keeps coming on intermittently and it has the soft brake petal. When stopped you can just push it easily to the floor. When braking it doesn't stiffen up much, back brakes will lock up but I don't feel much from the front and the ABS isn't kicking in. I know it won't when the light is on since it's detecting an issue.
Old November 26th, 2014, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default 96 gmck3500 brakes

havea 96 k3500 first push on brakes when running pedal gets sucked to floor after half push any ideas all i can think is abs isnt working correctly after i pull it back up doesnt do it but brakes are non existant
Old April 6th, 2015, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default bad brakes

If someone could give me some advice on my brakes I have a 1997 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 bought this truck with 150,000 miles on it now it has 250,000 but the brakes suck pedal stops at about 1in. from the floor before stopping I have replaced the booster and master and new shoes in the rear pads in the front bled all air from the system and still got no pedal the only thing left is the module does anyone think that possibly could be the cause of this problem.
Old May 17th, 2015, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

HI, I have a brake problem on my 1998 Silverado, I understand why the pedal is hard when motor stopped but not why pedal goes to floor when going. ABS Module replaced , two new master cylinders automated bleed and no pedal. Performed a by-pass of the module and went Master cylinder direct to brake rotors and drums. still pedal goes to floor. Plugged line from master cylinder first rear and had good front brake, then plugged front and had good rear. with both hooked up pedal goes to floor. Can anyone help
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down 1990 z71 brakes hard pedal no brakes

this is my son truck the brake pedal is hard when truck is running has good vacuum new booster added vacuum can still no brakes like pushing power brake an trying to stop with engine cutt off any idea ??

Quick Reply: 1997 chevy 1500 brake problem