Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Silverado LS Crew Cab Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2012, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado LS Crew Cab Backup Lights

My backup lights on the back of the cab do not work. I first noticed this when I approached the truck, pressed the unlock button and all the other lights came on but no white backup lights on the cab. The brake lights on both sides of the backup light do work.

Any recommendations where to start looking? I haven't popped the lense or found a fuse. My dimmer switch in the cab is giving me a fit and I plan to replace it soon. I've already made sure the dimmer wheel is up.
Old February 9th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

This same thing happened to me and i checked everything its more then likely the backup switch if your truck has an automatic tranny i believe it is at the base of the shifting lever if its a manual it goes directly in the tranny on the back drivers side hope this helps
Old February 9th, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nkh34
This same thing happened to me and i checked everything its more then likely the backup switch if your truck has an automatic tranny i believe it is at the base of the shifting lever if its a manual it goes directly in the tranny on the back drivers side hope this helps
Thanks

Yes...it's an auto......is the backup switch easy to replace?
Old February 9th, 2012, 6:52 PM
CF Active Member

Mine is a manual you would have to ask someone else how it worked. id imagime it wouldnt be to hard but thats just a guess mine was really easy maybe try finding a diagram if you go to the homepage here and then to the lounge there is a thread called "good sites to check out" you might find something there on how to replace it
Old February 9th, 2012, 7:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

VAJim,

Information regarding the fuses is available in the owner's manual, starting on page 5-128. A digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...-Silverado.pdf

Look at the silver-colored band inside the fuse. If the band is broken or melted, replace the fuse. Be sure you replace a bad fuse with a new one of the identical size and rating.

If that doesn't help, I encourage you to visit a certified technician.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 9th, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the back-up lamps work when actually backing up? That's not the same as when they get lit by the BCM as a result of the RKE function.
Old February 9th, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Are you referring to the cargo light/ third brake light?
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM
CF Active Member

Yes Grumpy is right if they work in reverse you have a whole different can of worms. i got a little ahead of myself sorry.
Old February 10th, 2012, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by grumpychevy
Are you referring to the cargo light/ third brake light?

Yes....just the cargo (white) lights on the back of the cab. The brake light in the center works fine as well as the back up lights on the back end near the tail gate.
Old February 10th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

thanks to all

I'm going to pop the lense cover tomorrow and take a look. the thing that bothers me is that both of the white lights on the side are out, while the red brake light still works.

Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado LS Crew Cab Backup Lights