Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2014, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Unfortunately I get to join the blown lifter cam club. At 80,000 mi and numerous trips previously to the shop for oil consumption, oil surveys, lifter 7 it went 1.5 months after warranty. As of now new cam and lifters being installed at a first estmate of 3521.00
Old December 5th, 2014, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Miesse
Unfortunately I get to join the blown lifter cam club. At 80,000 mi and numerous trips previously to the shop for oil consumption, oil surveys, lifter 7 it went 1.5 months after warranty. As of now new cam and lifters being installed at a first estmate of 3521.00
They replaced AFM Lifters ,standard lifters, and cam. Curious if it is going to do the same thing again?
Old December 12th, 2014, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Looking for fellow Tahoe owners for Class Action Lawsuit

96,000miles -Traction control light came on, engine light came on, low power mode, strange noise came from engine, later found it was lifters. replaced lifters and approx 12,350 miles later I brought it back with the same problem but this time the lifters and the cam were bad.
was told there was nothing that could be done.
escalated to GM customer service who promised to help, after 3 months of the car being off the road and a run around from GM and the dealer. GM said they were sorry, there is nothing that can be done and they suggested getting a new engine. I replaced the engine at a different dealer at my cost ($7500) and now 7 months later we are back at the dealer with the same symptoms again!!!!! Would you like to join a class action law suit? i am trying to find people with similar situations. email me at shawn.noonan@gmail.com
Old December 13th, 2014, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

I said it before but here is a link to the corporate officers. Write to them. Pick out anyone that has customer in their title and North America as well. Don't do e-mail, write a real letter. Also cc it to all the people you send it to.
Send it to the corporate office address in Detroit. 300 Renaissance Center.

http://www.gm.com/company/corporate-officers

John
Old December 15th, 2014, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dead Tahoe
My patience and persistence paid off. GM agreed to cover the majority of the new engine replacement. My my warranty expired 60 days prior to the engine failure but I was under the 100,000 miles. 60% GM/40% Me on the replacement cost .This is maximum amount the GM decision matrix will cover in this type of situation which as confirmed by an GM dealer not associated with this case. It was determined the engine failure was not due to maintenance but due to an original manufacturing issue. The cause of the engine failure was due to a dropped valve. The dropped valve in cylinder #7 shattered the piston, bending the rod, causing the rod to throw the bearing. I was not required to front a $1,000 to tear down the engine like I read in a earlier post. The most updated engine will be installed so hopefully no more AFM related issues. I only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which I think is shady but it is a new engine.

Overall, General Motors did a good job in the whole process. I will be a repeat customer.
Nice for You!
For me, I had way to much miles and my Suburban was too old (2007) so they pretty much put me by myself, kind of irritating when it actually is a flaw from manufacturer..
Old December 16th, 2014, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Buy Another Brand(because if you're reading this, you're aware of AFM engines!)

Dead Tahoe,
Let's say they jacked up the price of your replacement engine to $7.5K USD. 40% = $3K. Ouch. That would be an insult given you were barely out of warranty and pre-AFM engines would routinely return 200K+ miles. Somehow you don't really seem like a winner. Are you a GM employee or affiliated in any way with GM or a supplier?
My advice to you is to swap off your GM product for something more reliable or at the very minimum, within the warranty period of the current repairs. Wouldn't you love to be in this situation again 13 months or 12,001 miles from now?
Old December 17th, 2014, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Silver7
Dead Tahoe,
Let's say they jacked up the price of your replacement engine to $7.5K USD. 40% = $3K. Ouch. That would be an insult given you were barely out of warranty and pre-AFM engines would routinely return 200K+ miles. Somehow you don't really seem like a winner. Are you a GM employee or affiliated in any way with GM or a supplier?
My advice to you is to swap off your GM product for something more reliable or at the very minimum, within the warranty period of the current repairs. Wouldn't you love to be in this situation again 13 months or 12,001 miles from now?
I have no affiliation with GM. Just imagine the issues GM could have with the new series of engines that come in all the 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's. The new engines have to be a nightmare, cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing. Good luck with that. I test drove a new 2014 tahoe and the engine made a lot of noise at idle and the afm was still noticable. Why buy a Tahoe? The cost of a new tahoe is really high, $55,000 plus. For that amount, buy a Toyota Sequoia that is a better built vehicle. I was able to solve all the issues that my tahoe was having. I purchased a Toyota 4Runner. 4Runners are manufactured in Japan and it shows. 75% of all 4Runners are still on the road and hold their valve very, very well. Just take a look at a used 4Runner and you will see. And do not file a class action lawsuit against GM, buy another brand and let everyone know what a POS tahoe truly are. This will impact GM more than a lawsuit ever would.
Old December 20th, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

can anyone tell me wut happen to my 07 1500 ltz p/u i was drivin a few days back an my eng, hours were at 4552 hours on meter win i arrived it had 2.3 on it how did this happen an y !
Old December 25th, 2014, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default replaced all lifters and cam

Will it occur again? I am looking at a used 2010 with 86k on it..
Old December 26th, 2014, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dead Tahoe
I have no affiliation with GM. Just imagine the issues GM could have with the new series of engines that come in all the 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's. The new engines have to be a nightmare, cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing. Good luck with that. I test drove a new 2014 tahoe and the engine made a lot of noise at idle and the afm was still noticable. Why buy a Tahoe? The cost of a new tahoe is really high, $55,000 plus. For that amount, buy a Toyota Sequoia that is a better built vehicle. I was able to solve all the issues that my tahoe was having. I purchased a Toyota 4Runner. 4Runners are manufactured in Japan and it shows. 75% of all 4Runners are still on the road and hold their valve very, very well. Just take a look at a used 4Runner and you will see. And do not file a class action lawsuit against GM, buy another brand and let everyone know what a POS tahoe truly are. This will impact GM more than a lawsuit ever would.
Ok,I have to step in when I see such a unfounded,unsubstantiated statement....

Who says a Sequoia is a better built vehicle,or a 4runner for that matter?
What is meant by "better"? everyone has an opinion and their favorite brands, that is what makes the world go around and inspires innovation.

Keep in mind there are a hell of a lot more silverado's and Tahoes etc. that share common driving components,more than any Japanese truck or suv maker could even dream about.It's all about the percentages.There are millions of the AFM V8 from GM on the road since 2008....and that is a huge number in perspective to the number of people having problems

If you go to any Japanese vehicle forum you are going to hear the same kinda stuff there.People mostly go to forums looking for help for their issues.Positive stuff is there too but the minority.

As far as AFM and variable valve timing,to say what a nighmare is just plain ignorant.VVT has been in use on smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines for years by all the auto makers in different capacities and is a proven benefit,more power and better economy,along with being reliable.

GM pioneered AFM in the early 80's with the Cadillac's,called 4-6-8 Cylinder Deactivation,and actually fared quite well with primitive engine managment.

Look,its a fact today's engines are just going to get more and more complicated.OEM's are forced to get more and more MPG average over their entire range-fleet of vehicles for sale.

Everything is going to be of the Direct Injection flavor as well,the new GM V8 and V6 in trucks and suv included.
Does that mean that they suck? No,it is just the way things are going.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$