Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRIBOB
Have 77K miles.
Repaired 3 times. New pistons and all items.
Now have 1 year of warranty and till 84k miles on major guard.
Now intermittent rough idle and spark plug with much carbon on inside.

Dealer who did all repairs now wants me to pay for fuel injection cleaning and de- carbon.

I had a CAP case open. All documents filed with CA state and CAP 2 years ago.
I said no to my dime and left. Let them just do minor service for visit.

Whats suggestions?

I have no no no intention to pay a dime at this point. And not some non certified repair life fuel injection service that the webs is full of controversy that is even is real or works. May do damage.

Do not have lots of energy to fight this. To add injury to frustration. I had massive stroke 9/2013 and 100 recovered. Wife got cancer. I am whipped. Got not much will to fight. Mind is willing but body and mind are tired.

2010 and almost paid off. DO NOT WANT TO BUY NEW TRUCK. WITH CANER NEED TO PAY OTHER BILLS.

What is next step? I plan to go to another dealer and explain problem and history of truck engine. Or should I go right back to CAP and GM?

I almost began to shake knowing all this junk on this engine and nice service rep will charge me $400 on a known issue and take my money.

Wife says junk it. Trade. But I pay the bills. I planned to pay off and have for years. But this is a known pending disaster and I need action.

I have a little calm as it is still under warranty. But I see the darkness coming. Not the light. GM dealers look like they want to bail on me now.

Whats the word on the street. Any LAW knowing people reading?
2010 with filed CA CAP issues. Multi repairs and pistons replaced for carbon oil use at 30- 50K miles 2 years ago.

Now symptoms and less oil use coming back but no CEL. Rough intermittent idle.
Can be smooth then some days bad. Have photo of spark plug now.

2015 screen shot of carbon plug.
black carbon inside plug not on end.

My two cents..... swap it off for another brand truck valued about the same so you can "Learn and Move On". Avoiding future known headaches is worth a lot of peace of mind. Might I suggest Carmax if there's one in your area. They'll buy your current truck at a fair price and give you a quote good for seven days should you find a replacement elsewhere.
Best wishes.
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd suggest the AFM deactivation as a place to start... are the suspect plugs 1 and 7?
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default Photo of Failed Lifter and Camshaft

This is a close-up of what the failed lifter and camshaft look like. Carves a nice groove in the lobe, eh?
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing that is for cyl #1 from what I can see of the cam shaft...
that's a shame, damages the cam lobe so badly you really couldn't even get away with just doing the lifters...
Old August 26th, 2015, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE ON MY 2010
Dealer looked at rough idle. Now wants me to pay for Injector cleaning and decarbon. Few hundred bucks.

This is after 2 years ago having multi repairs and changed pistons and all the many other things.

I talked about doing a trade in. But the cost was too high on that day so I walked away. Now they emailed me that the deal is on. I am going to look Toyota or Ford.

How is the Ford Eco Boost? Is that good or another mess like this 5.3L GM?.

I hear fires on Eco Boost V6

I would be most happy with 2 years extra Engine warranty. If they do that I have nothing to complain about. I am not demanding a car that never had problems.
I just want them to take care of known problems that exist.

I have Carboned Spark plugs and am using oil use again.
We see what GM does.

My PT warranty is over in Feb 2106 so I got time.

But I cannot keep the truck if after the engine is just waiting to fail again. I need to dump it and hate GM. ( Do we really want that? ) Or get some plan where GM will stand behind this engine if if fails in the next year again as I have or as people post.

Need help.

Last edited by MRIBOB; August 27th, 2015 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Poor grammer
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Have 2008 Silverado ls only has 73000 miles. Engine started shaking and flashing check engine light. Turns out a lifter has broken. Mechanic pulled the head and says all lifters are defective. After reading this forum, really pissed off. Has anyone actually started a class action suit against GM?
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have 2007 Suburban with 159,000 on it. My wife was driving down the freeway and it started with the service stabilitrac light and service traction control lights flashing. The engine would shake real bad when she stopped and the transmission would shift very hard going from 1st to 2nd gear.
Took it to the dealer where I purchased it 4 months ago and they told me there was barely any compression on cylinder 1. The lifter had collapsed. To have the dealership fix it would cost around $2,000. I had a buddy fix it for just the cost of parts ~$400. When we picked it up, the "service stabilitrac" and "service traction control" lights were still on. It still shifts hard into 2nd and the engine won't go into 4cyl mode. The engine itself seems to be running great, no weird sounds or anything just stays in 8 cyl mode all the time. What can I do to fix it?
Old October 6th, 2015, 2:04 PM
Administrator

abovee96
Welcome to the forum, is there anything plugged into the data connection port under the dash below the steering wheel?
You might try disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds, see if that will clear the errors...
Old October 6th, 2015, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

There is nothing plugged in, I did unhook the battery and wait a couple minutes. The lights stayed off for a few minutes after I started it back up and then came back on. I'm going to have her take it to an auto parts store and have them scan it.
Old November 10th, 2015, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2008 chevy silverado - same problem

Originally Posted by Silver7
Have been a GM owner for three decades. Follow proper maintenance schedules and have had great luck with truck engines, normally get over 300,000 miles before selling or gifting away.

At 145,000 miles(primarily highway and weekend hunting trips), the check engine comes on, truck runs rough, acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages: Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. Thought maybe a plug or two had fouled out or some other minor issue. Wishful thinking... need new lifters and camshaft. Sound familiar? I've now read several examples of this exact issue. Evidently, when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters don't get adequately lubricated, causing failure/collapse, also damaging the camshaft. This results in a several thousand dollar repair bill that GM will not cost share due to expired warranty. I think it's a design flaw they should assist with. Maybe with all the financial troubles GM has experienced, their vehicle quality has suffered. Did I mention both front power locks failed at about 120,000 miles?

If you own an AFM equipped vehicle, be sure to swap it off before the warranty period expires. My chevy experience has come to an end. It's unfortunate, as I really like the style, handling and performance other than the faulty engine.

My truck is experiencing the very same problem yours did, same way it happened also. Would you please update me with final results? I am disgusted, mine only has 138,000 miles and the chevy dealership is no help at all. Will cost in ballpark of 4.500 to fix. (scream)

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$