Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2014, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem with my 2008 silverado

Originally Posted by Silver7
Have been a GM owner for three decades. Follow proper maintenance schedules and have had great luck with truck engines, normally get over 300,000 miles before selling or gifting away.

At 145,000 miles(primarily highway and weekend hunting trips), the check engine comes on, truck runs rough, acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages: Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. Thought maybe a plug or two had fouled out or some other minor issue. Wishful thinking... need new lifters and camshaft. Sound familiar? I've now read several examples of this exact issue. Evidently, when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters don't get adequately lubricated, causing failure/collapse, also damaging the camshaft. This results in a several thousand dollar repair bill that GM will not cost share due to expired warranty. I think it's a design flaw they should assist with. Maybe with all the financial troubles GM has experienced, their vehicle quality has suffered. Did I mention both front power locks failed at about 120,000 miles?

If you own an AFM equipped vehicle, be sure to swap it off before the warranty period expires. My chevy experience has come to an end. It's unfortunate, as I really like the style, handling and performance other than the faulty engine.

I am putting the third set of lifters in mine now at 130000 miles. Looks like chevy would have recalled this

Last edited by tfloyd27; November 18th, 2014 at 5:24 AM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 7:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

tfloyd27 Welcome to the forum...
Wow a 3rd set are you doing the work or having it done?
Any pictures and processes of the work you can share would be appreciated
Old November 16th, 2014, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

WELL I did my own oil changes and been dealing with the AFM problem. I got 134000 on it and check the oil every other week and replaced about 10 spark plugs on #1 and #7. Now I am looking at a tuner to turn off the AFM. What do you guys think about a tuner to turn off AFM? You guys think I can make it last?
reading all of these post on here is scaring the crap out of me.
Old November 17th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuckchevy
WELL I did my own oil changes and been dealing with the AFM problem. I got 134000 on it and check the oil every other week and replaced about 10 spark plugs on #1 and #7. Now I am looking at a tuner to turn off the AFM. What do you guys think about a tuner to turn off AFM? You guys think I can make it last?
reading all of these post on here is scaring the crap out of me.
What you guys need to remember is that approx. 2.4 million Silverados produced from 2008 on have the new 5.3 AFM engines.

Forums like this usually represent people who are looking for answers or are having problems.I would guess less than .01 percent actually have AFM lifter issues.

No single manufacturer is perfect but rest assured the quality is very high.
Ford,Dodge and everyone else has issues......
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
What you guys need to remember is that approx. 2.4 million Silverados produced from 2008 on have the new 5.3 AFM engines.

Forums like this usually represent people who are looking for answers or are having problems.I would guess less than .01 percent actually have AFM lifter issues.

I for the most part agree, but the AFM failure also applies to the Suburban and Tahoe's with the 5.3.... the Tahoe's and Suburbans also suffer the cracked dash issues as the Silverado's
Old November 18th, 2014, 5:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
tfloyd27 Welcome to the forum...
Wow a 3rd set are you doing the work or having it done?
Any pictures and processes of the work you can share would be appreciated
The afm lifters collapsed layed beside each other they were different lengths. We also had the same issue with my sons 2007 extended cab. It's been very frustrating to say the least
Old November 18th, 2014, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat

So your estimate is there are about 24,000 Silverados with AFM problems?
I think you are being very generous toward Chevrolet. They are giving $8000-9000 plus other incentives to trade in your truck on a newer 2014. Do the multiplication and you get about $216,000,000 if everyone bought a new 2014. 24,000 Silverados would cost over a billion dollars. And they would still make a profit of about $780,000,000 while getting rid of those nasty AFM Silverados.

John
Old November 18th, 2014, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Now call me foolish but I bought a new 2014 Silverado Club Cab. I have 10,000 miles on it from July 2014. The engine does indeed ride and feel different than my 2009. The interiors are also different. I always had to set the driver seat as far as possible. Not so with the 2014. I can reverse the seat 3/4 and still have plenty of room for my legs (I am just over 6'5"). Plus the steering column has added flexibility as well.

And it is not just the Silverado. I was adding a step to my new truck and the dealer let me have a new Impala to drive until the step was fully installed. I have had Impalas in the past. Let me tell you this was not your father's Impala!

It had a sunroof and my head always hit the interior roof when it was closed or my head stuck out with the sunroof open. Plus it had a 6 cyl engine and great acceleration. Now granted this was the top of the Impala line with the James Bond interior (brown and black leather).

John
Old November 18th, 2014, 5:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
I for the most part agree, but the AFM failure also applies to the Suburban and Tahoe's with the 5.3.... the Tahoe's and Suburbans also suffer the cracked dash issues as the Silverado's
10-4 good buddy.....
So yeah if you add in the Tahoe's,Suburbans and of course the GMC equivalents across the board with the AFM 5.3,the failure ratio is even more miniscule.

There is also the same problem with the 6.2 liter AFM found in the automatic only Camaro,not the 6 speed.

With around 200K L99 Camaro's produced every year since 2010 only a hand full had to have the lifters replaced.Most issues occurred from infrequent or incorrect oil changes.

I will agree the AFM lifters are not as robust if not taken care off....the slightest amount of gunk blocking the tiny oil passage will wipe it out in no time.The valve that activates is also very suspect once dirty oil is allowed in the system
Old November 19th, 2014, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Best injector and lifter cleaner I know is made by Chevron. It's called Techron and it is worth every penny. I use it after every 3-4 oil changes.

John

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$