Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2008 silverado 1500 big problems.

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2011, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew. The right rear speaker was intermitten, then went out.. Then the left rear the same way. Then the front right, now the front left. I removed radio to check plugs and wires all looks good. When putting radio back in I noticed the right side of the radio was very very hot.....Help lol
Old January 20th, 2012, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 08 sierra 6.2 ltr. and my problem is when I try to start yhe truck (key or remote) the dashboard lights, radio lights etc. blink and the starter engages and disengages until the truck starts.
After that it runs fine. Replaced the battery but the problem is still there. Moving on to the cables.
Old January 20th, 2012, 6:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 80z28,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Sierra. If you have not taken the vehicle in for an inspection, I encourage you to do so. A certified technician should be able to diagnose the problem with a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 21st, 2012, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08 sierra

I stoped by my local delership and the service manager said he has never herd of such a problem and made me feel as thou they would be guessing and spending my money to try to fix the problem. Going to try a different shop in hopes they can help.
If you know of a good shop in the Annapolis Maryland area I would be greatful.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 80z28,

I'm not sure what your zip code is, however, here is a listing of some in the surrounding area:

OURISMAN CHEVROLET OF BOWIE
Distance: 11.6 Miles
16610 GOVERNOR BRIDGE RD
BOWIE, MD 20716-3617
Certified Internet Manager: Irene McGlone
Phone: (301) 262-7600
Fax: (301) 464-8534

J. B. A. CHEVROLET
Distance: 15.8 Miles
7327 RITCHIE HWY
GLEN BURNIE, MD 21061-3195
Certified Internet Manager: James Day
Phone: (410) 766-6300
Fax: (410) 761-2812

DARCARS CHEVROLET
Distance: 20.5 Miles
7710 ANNAPOLIS ROAD
LANHAM, MD 20706-1395
Certified Internet Manager: JAMES CARTER
Phone: (301) 459-1300
Fax: (240) 296-0675

FOX CHEVROLET OF LAUREL
Distance: 21 Miles
501-505 WASHINGTON BLVD
LAUREL, MD 20707-4697
Certified Internet Manager: Walter Siguenza
Phone: (301) 725-2700

BOB BELL CHEVROLET/NISSAN, INC.
Distance: 23.3 Miles
1 KANE STREET
BALTIMORE, MD 21224-1815
Certified Internet Manager: Melanie Sersen
Phone: (410) 633-9000
Fax: (410) 288-5279

OURISMAN CHEVROLET CO., INC.
Distance: 25 Miles
4400 BRANCH AVE
MARLOW HEIGHTS, MD 20748-1899
Certified Internet Manager: ali gharib
Phone: (301) 423-4000
Fax: (301) 423-5725

For your reference, these were found at: Chevrolet | Car Dealer, Auto Dealer, Locate Chevrolet Dealer

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 4th, 2012, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, All.

My '08 Silverado Crew 4.8 is doing this now - it just died and left my pregnant wife stranded on the side of the road and then magically, everything was fine 5 minutes later. She said that the locks and gauges started going crazy and then the lights/radio started to cut out and finally the truck shut off after a bunch of the warning lights came on.

My '96 silverado didn't have half the problems that this truck has had. I owned that thing for almost 10 years and this one for only a year... I've already had to replace the Battery, SDM and a bunch of other stuff. I can't afford to keep taking this thing to the dealer for $100 inspection fees to only have them tell me that something isn't covered under the extended warranty or that they can't replicate a problem.

Thanks to everyone here for the helpful tips. I'll check for connections and grounding issues and see about the battery cables.

Electrical Gremlins are extremely frustrating...

Last edited by XVTer; February 4th, 2012 at 9:56 PM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 6:40 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> XVTer,

I'm sorry to hear of the frustration with your Silverado. Have any after-market items been installed on or in the vehicle (i.e. stereo, speakers, security system, etc.)?

If you would like, PM me your VIN number and I can see if there is any additional information available.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 7th, 2012, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
XVTer,

I'm sorry to hear of the frustration with your Silverado. Have any after-market items been installed on or in the vehicle (i.e. stereo, speakers, security system, etc.)?

If you would like, PM me your VIN number and I can see if there is any additional information available.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Thanks, Louis, but I think that I have figured out the problem with this one. Once my frustration level came down I was able to put my mind to looking at the problem instead of just complaining about how the truck has inconvenienced me. Truth be told, I really love this truck, but sometimes it gets under my skin.

I was able to replicate the crazy locks/lights problem while going to work yesterday; I started the truck in the dark so the lights automatically turned on and the heater was on full-blast from the night before. After I got up to around 10-15 miles/hr it happened - possibly while the truck was going some sort of diagnostic/ABS test and required more power than the wiring could give it? The locks started going crazy, the clock reset to 12:00, the dash lights and heater started flickering on and off and then the truck lost power - it didn't totally shut off on me; at the time, I turned off the heater and the truck managed to stay running; this lasted approximately 10-15 seconds and then everything was fine again.

I don't have anything aftermarket on my truck but I did check the wiring surrounding the battery (as suggested previously in this thread) when I got to work. I found that there was between 36 and 50 ohms resistance between the negative terminal of my battery and various parts of the cab itself when everything was off. The positive wiring seemed to be pretty good; I only had around 0.6 ohms between the positive battery terminal and the fuse block. I only have a cheap Home Depot multimeter so it's probably not entirely accurate, but that seemed like a bit of a high reading to me.

I followed the negative battery cable and removed/cleaned each end at the termination points. I also inspected the ground wire under the drivers door (near the body mount) and noticed that it had heavy corrosion on it. I cleaned this off as well and, fingers crossed, haven't been able to replicate the problem again. I do believe that the main culprit was probably the wire under the truck as I have noticed that the New England winters haven't been very kind to my undercarriage. The coating/paint is starting to peel and it shows a bit of surface rust.

I haven't checked the resistance since my fix since it was dark when I finished, but I will do that today and update this post. I got a couple pictures that I will post up as well.

**EDIT: Here is a picture of the ground underneath the driver's door before I cleaned it up

Last edited by XVTer; February 7th, 2012 at 9:06 AM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 1:50 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> XVTer,

Thank you for the update! I'm happy you were able to find the source of the problem. If you have questions in the future, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 10th, 2012, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

I took my 08 sierra to ourisman chevy and they found the problem, the starter, and replaced it under warranty. Thanks Louis

Quick Reply: 2008 silverado 1500 big problems.