Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 new truck rearend clunk update

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2012, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 new truck rearend clunk update

GM REP called and told me he spoke to 2nd dealer and truck is fine it is just gear lash.The clunk is gear lash,I know that but if it clunks then there is to much I would say.I asked him what the lash should be I am sure it was not designed to clunk.In a nut shell they are not going to fix the clunk.I guess that they could care less about the buyer.Well Gm this looks like the last one of your products my family will own.On a side note flashing check engine light was a bad plug on cyln 5.The clunk is not as bad when in tow haul mod.A buddy said that it might need a tcm reflash.I will keep up dating until it gets fixed

Last edited by marbles 1965; December 9th, 2012 at 6:43 AM. Reason: missing word
Old December 9th, 2012, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the update...I was told they all do it to one degree or another. Luck of the draw.
The assembly tolerance is such that there needs to be some room for the heat cycle expansion, which leave some vehicles with a little more 'lash' than others.

Apparently .005" can make an audible difference, depending on the vehicle:-). My brand new 2012 LT has a clunk sometimes, but not always...?

Jim
Old December 11th, 2012, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 silverado clunk update

Called GM today to see if I could get a # for powertrain debt to talk about a reflash for tranny due to clunk seems to go away in tow__haul mode.I gave my name and was told I had a new claim# and someone new was looking at my claim.This was a shock to me due to last rep told me case was closed.I will not accept that this is normal and designed into the driveline.I HOPE THAT SOMEONE WILL DO THE RIGHT THING AND GET THIS FIXED.I WILL keep updating.
Old December 11th, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when does it clunk, shifting while driving or shifting into gear? my truck clunks going into gear and accelerating after a downshift, mine is play in the t-case, common chevy thing
Old December 12th, 2012, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 2012 Silverado Clunking and Shaking

I picked up my Silverado about Four months ago. From day one I noticed it had three issues. The first was the rough idling ( annoying as hell when stopped), second was the stiff gas pedal, (causing a lurching action when in slow moving traffic), and third was the disconcerting clunking from the rearend (at all driving speeds and conditions). I was told the computer needs to learn your driving habits and you need to put some miles on it to learn the truck, and wear things in. I have been back countless times and nothing has changed other than now they are telling me that Chevy has bulletins addressing all three issues, and that it's all within Chevy's parameters. This isn't my first rodeo. I have had both new Chevy and Ford trucks in the past with no issues at all. I drove German vehicles with their stiff gas pedals for years, and so I know how to compensate for the pressure. Two different service managers have said same thing, all is normal. There is now about 1300 miles on it and still doing the same things. Now they all say I could've returned the truck during the first week. They knew about these bulletins so why now, four months later do they tell me I could've returned the truck. A case number was assigned (#71-1132899199). The rep called me and said there is nothing Chevy can do as far as Buybacks, etc. I have driven the new Fords with none of these issues at all. Chevy's Bulletins are cop outs!!!! When they can't fix a problem they issue bulletins saying that is the Characteristic of the truck!!! Wake up Chevy and follow Fords lead. I can't afford to take a big loss and trade in to a Ford, but never again a GM product!!!!!
I am looking into filing a lawsuit and going public about this with a local TV station. Chevy...I know you are monitering this site....Stand behind your product!!
Old December 12th, 2012, 1:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking forward to further updates, marbles_1965! If there is anything we can look into for you, let us know via private message or email (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old December 12th, 2012, 4:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakfrost
The assembly tolerance is such that there needs to be some room for the heat cycle expansion, which leave some vehicles with a little more 'lash' than others.

Apparently .005" can make an audible difference, depending on the vehicle:-). My brand new 2012 LT has a clunk sometimes, but not always...?

Jim
The temperatures in my area have been up and down lately, and my clunking is more noticeable when it is colder outside. It is sometimes not even noticeable, it is definitely there, but nothing unbearable.

Last edited by Monorail_Red; December 12th, 2012 at 4:53 PM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default new 2012 clunk new update

Waiting for call back from new GM rep and New case ##, Most of these problems could be solved if people would take there time and listen to owner.Try to solve the problem the old way not only with a scan tool but with brain power and understanding of how things work not just a parts changer.I know this clunk was not designed into this truck.I have fixed tons of harley-davidsons for people that had them to dealers that said (they all do that) My answer is no they do not That answer is from someone who can not fix it or chooses not or does not do his job well..A scan tool is that a tool.Not a answer god.I hope that a reflash could fix this problem.The clunk goes away in tow-haul mode.It may be a simple fix if I could get someone to listen fully to me and not dismiss my knowledge of motorized vehicles. I will keep posting until this is fixed.
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 silverado clunk

Mine clunks when the tranny shifts down into first after you take foot of gas like making a turn or slowing for a yield sign and then you give it gas slowly or just step on it.
Old December 13th, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by marbles 1965
.A scan tool is that a tool.Not a answer god.I hope that a reflash could fix this problem.The clunk goes away in tow-haul mode.It may be a simple fix if I could get someone to listen fully to me and not dismiss my knowledge of motorized vehicles. I will keep posting until this is fixed.
Don't think a reflash is going to correct what appears to be a mechanical problem. As someone posted .005" mesh clearance isn't very much, that means a good surface contact if indeed that is what it is, and not just tolerance spec. If you are not having this issue in tow/haul, and are not towing anything, I'd look at the transmission.

Quick Reply: 2012 new truck rearend clunk update