Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Chevrolet Silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 8:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Chevrolet Silverado

I have seen a few of them parked at dealerships in the last month or so, but finally saw my first 2014 Silverado on the road. It is a very good-looking truck, a maroon LTZ 4x4 with the Z71 decal. It was a "crew cab" with the real four-door setup and appeared to have the longer 6 1/2 foot bed (which I did not know you could get with the 1500 series). I have always seen them with the shorter 5 ft bed unless you upgraded to the 2500 HD series.

The truck doesn't look very different from the rear - although the tail lamps are "pinched" in the center to set them apart from the 2007 to 2013 models. The bumper (on this truck anyway) had 'foot steps' cut into the corners, so as to make it easier to put something in or take something out of the cargo bed. I am not sure if this is an extra-cost option or if all the 2014 Silverado trucks will have it.

The side view of the truck doesn't look revolutionary, but at first glance it appears as though the door handles are larger and finished in chrome. The wheels were very shiny cast aluminum - probably about 18 inches in diameter; but I bet GM is offering several types from which you may choose. Work trucks will likely have plain-looking steelies and the higher trim levels are likely to offer 20-inchers shod with very expensive tires.

The front of the truck is where the big difference is apparent. The headlights are the "projector" type -- where they appear round within a square housing and they kept the 'stacked' design from the previous generation of the Silverado. The grille of the truck looks much larger and plenty of chrome is visible. 2014s have a very "commanding" presence, not unlike the 1994 Dodge Ram did two decades ago and the 2011+ Ford Super Duty (F-250) truck line does today.

Obviously, I am not in the market for a new truck and am probably going to keep my 2004 Silverado for several more years (it is paid off); but think Chevy did a good job with the latest revision. I have no clue about the interior or the line of engines. It is hard to improve on the venerable 5.3L, but I bet they upgraded the power and fuel economy and it has the cylinder de-activation for better highway mpg. Many new vehicles offer "flex fuel" capability, so I bet GM makes their new truck with it as a feature.

Last edited by JK23112; July 27th, 2013 at 8:08 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Senior Member

The thing that I do not like about the new truck is that GM is planning to build most of them in MEXICO! I honestly don't think it fits with the "patriotic" theme or the 'rock solid' slogan they used in advertising. In truth, it is a slap in the face to the American taxpayer - the hard workers out here who BAILED OUT GM. That is the thanks we get?

We have enough Mexicans coming here to the USA to take jobs and use our government services already, so now the powers that be at GM feel it is a good idea to essentially move even more jobs outside of the USA to Mexico. Smooth move, guys. :-(

This is ironic - considering Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes/Freightliner, BMW, Nissan and Honda have INCREASED their manufacturing capacity here in the United States.

When it does come to buy a new vehicle, is it better to choose the "American" Silverado or Dodge Ram that might be built in Mexico.....or the "foreign" Toyota Tundra that is built in Indiana? I suppose the Ford F-Series might even be an option (perish the thought) because they are built here AND Ford did not take the latest bailout and is fiscally solvent.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run out and buy a 2013. I just bought a 2013 AllStar edition Silverado 1500 Ext Cab. 9k in discounts. Made in Indiana, 76% domestic content. My 2003 Silverado was 90% domestic, so not as good, but still good.
I get a GM discount so I stick with GM, but I would lean towards a foreign car made here, rather than a GM made in Mexico.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

I am in the market for a new truck and my 2 finalists are the 2014 silverado and the 2013 dodge ram laramie. I have test driven both. The "my link" system on the silverado is far more impressive than the Ram. The hemi with a 3.92 rear did seem a little more peppy, but not overwhelmingly so.

I find that the salesmen don't know a lot about this chevy...perhaps because it is so new. For example, I had one salesman AND the manager confirmed that if you got the driver alert option then the truck would have dynamic cruise control where the truck would automatically slow down if you were in cruise control and another car pulled in front of you. They couldn't show me this during the test drive because the truck was still in transport mode so some options locked out. I contacted Chevy headquarters and they said that it doesn't have that capability,

Despite that, I am leaning towards the 2014 silverado. I'm going to see if the dealer will take $500 over invoice. ....will see, otherwise maybe I go through truecars.com. I definitely don't want to pay msrp.

Will let you know how this works out. Not so easy to negotiate on the 2014 because it is so totally redesigned.
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mdavis501,

I am glad to hear you like the MyLink system but no, it does not have the cruise control feature you mentioned. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 19th, 2013, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

I picked up my LTZ Plus yesterday and I love it. I have 3.42 gears and that is good enough. Anything lower is just decreasing fuel economy and Dodge economy is bad enough as it is.
Old October 19th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

hoganj,

Congrats on the purchase! So far, what is your favorite feature?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 19th, 2013, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

hope Gm is not moving production to Mexico if they do I wll buy a truck made here by American Labor
Old October 19th, 2013, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You can check your door jam for a sticker that shows where you vehicle was assembled
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Default Truck Assembly

Look at the VIN tag. If the VIN begins with 1, 4 or 5, then USA is the point of assembly. A "2" indicates Canada and "3" is Mexico. Japanese-built vehicles have a "J" and "W" refers to Germany.

Of course, the assembly point does not give any indication of the parts content (i.e, a vehicle assembled in Canada could contain a lot of German or Japanese parts, etc.).

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado