Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2014 silverado with a bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2014, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My ride is a 08 LT with the 5.3L 4x4. wit 120,000 miles on it. Now when I drive between 70 and 75 it drones and vibrates. I have had a mechanic check it out and he thinks it is in the drivetrain and not the wheels/tires & saying it will take some time to figure out exactly what the problem is. So, has anyone here know anything about this or have had the same problem with their vehicle. Thx.
Old November 27th, 2014, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

I wonder if the GMC truck are having the same problems with the vibrations.
Old November 29th, 2014, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Well last Tuesday I got the call from Service Director,
They are basically at the end of what GM engineers have suggested.

I truly believe that my Service Director has done every thing conceivable along
with the " IDEAS " supplied by the GM engineering and technical staff.

So after countless tire road force procedures and a new set of Michelin's and another round
of road forcing them, and new pinion gear there are absolutely no changers in the vibration
of my NEW 2014 K-1500. When I arrived my truck had a set of stock OEM wheels and tires
(bridgstone) the same route was taken and the exact same issue was very noticeable.

Once the heaviest vibration began (@ 73mph) I looked over at the Service Director saying nothing
he then promptly said I'll have to get an engineer out to drive it, and that might take some time.

The ' Stock Unit ' that has less then a 100 miles on it is also experiencing the very same issues
as well as the loaner truck I was using a 2014 C-1500 Double Cab with a 5.3 V-8 with 710 miles.

After all of the procedure's that have been preformed on my truck I can safely say it's not a
tire or wheel issue and obviously not the pinion although some play was noted on the original
due to excessive metal shavings...or so I was told as I'm still waiting on my paperwork with
the exact details.

While I wait for the GM engineers to make a guest appearance, I'm having two major concerns
(1) This being a SAFETY ISSUE, I'd really hate to be the cause of something to happen to someone
else if this truck becomes more unstable at the noted highway speeds then it already is now.
(2) I'm by no means an engineer or pretend to be. However my vast experience with vehicles and
some round table chats with people in the industry a few ideas have came up,
I'll reserve our thoughts and ideas until I have all of my paperwork and given the GM engineer a shot at a ride & drive.

The good news is I had my truck for Thanksgiving !
Even though I feel unsafe at highway speeds and it's screws up my proven break-in procedure.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Another week has gone by and still no paper work from the dealership or any
contact from General Motors
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue here.....

Now I can relax a little and stop wondering wth is going on.

Two weeks ago I drove a new '14 Silverado CC LT TX Edition with just 6 miles off the lot and it drove smooth as can be. It wasn't what I wanted so I took it back 2 days later and upgraded to the convenience 1 package.

This one had 8 miles and as soon as I reached 65 mph on the freeway, it vibrated like there was no tomorrow. It got worse as I reached 75 up to 80 mph.

I took it back and they balanced all 4 tires (20" factory wheels). It helped but was very noticeable. I took it back a 2nd time and they only replaced the rear tires.

Guess what, it still vibrates. It's not as bad but still vibrates between 65-70 mph and then between 75-80 mph. I've been scratching my head all day, trying to figure out what to do next. Any suggestions? Thx
Old December 5th, 2014, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevrolet Truck Vibration

I have an update on my situation. I have had to cool off for about the last 4 hours before I posted this.
As some of you know my truck is back at the dealer again. It has been there for going 11 days now. I will give you some exact numbers so that you can get the full idea.
Purchase date 7-11-14
First attempt to repair 7-25-14
First attempt miles 1204
Truck now has near 8300 ish miles (I think because I have not seen it in 11 days)
I will give you just the rental car days to start
8-14 for 26 days
9-19 for 27 days
10-31 for 11 days
11-20 for Who knows yet
We are at 79 days total to date that they have had my truck in the last 5 months.

General Motors called today and is wanted to trade me out of my truck for another truck just like mine same year and etc.
They were only going to charge me $3482 for the trade
WHAT???? I dont think so!!!

I blew a gasket!!! I have been very patient with them about all of this.
I called the dealer and lost control. They said that the agreement that they (dealer) had with GM was that they would just trade and take care of all expenses to do so. So when Moses called back from GM he said that he would waive all the fees and trade MSRP for MSRP. They just tried to get me for another $3482 because the GM rep told me that Moses was not supposed to ask me for that. WHAT?? How did he have that exact number.

This is not all that has happened. This is the short version. I just wanted to inform some of you and vent some. It has not made me feel any better. I have completed my claim with the Better Business Bureau. I have filed a claim with the Attorney Generals Office in my state. I am going to head to more social media that will direct effect my dealer in the area. I have retained an attorney and I will settle for nothing less that a full buy back from them. My attorney has stated that I have a great case. I guess we will see. I love my Chevy truck!
Old December 6th, 2014, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Good luck

If you have hired an attorney you ought to ask him/her to file a class action suite, as there is so many people having problems with their trucks and they are not getting fixed. I have had my truck since 2011 and it is"still not fixed". I tried to hire a very good attorney here in central Florida, but they said they would not take the case, why I don't know unless they are retained by GM. I think what I am going to do when I get back from the mountains in January is take it to the Dealership where I bought it and tell them to keep it until it is fixed. I have been paying on a bad truck since 2011, "No More". A $65,000.00 truck, I should have kept my old 67 chevy never had a problem with it.
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

I'm just joining the list here. I solved the vibration problem on my 2014... I traded it for a 2015 Ram 1500! Couldn't be happier. The stress and low odds of a successful BBB / Lemon Law claim just wasn't worth it for me, especially since I was only getting about 12mpg (likely due to whatever issue was causing the vibration) and almost getting carsick at times. Yes, I took a slight loss.

I owned the Silverado for 2.5 months, and the vibration started at about 500 miles. It was there at all speeds, but worst about 40mph. The dealer I bought from acknowledged the problem, the service manager even said he had a friend with the problem, they tried to fix it 4 times (road force balanced the wheels twice, replaced the rear shocks and then supposedly look at it for another 1.5 days), and then told me it was normal according to GM.

The $8/hour reps at GM Customer Service were absolutely useless. They are strictly in damage control mode.

And yes, I blew my gasket as well.

So yea, I'm still a little bitter. But, I am loving the ride in my new truck that rides like a new $50k truck should, in 2014!
Old December 11th, 2014, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

I got tired of waiting for the dealer to call when the engineer from GM would call him

So I thought I'd chat with GM customer service, by some grace of a higher power the GM
C/S person said that an appointment was set for 12/10/2014 I asked what time and they
did not know only that the engineer was to call the dealer and in turn call me ( way more to this part of the story )

So about three 3pm I get a call to get the truck down to the dealer so it's ready bright and early for Mr. engineer
I'll state this again My dealer has gone way beyond the norm by not only keeping me informed but they
also had a 2015 C-1500 C/C with FOUR (4) miles on it waiting for me pointing out toward the road

I asked to talk to the engineer but it does not work that way, So I just happend to swing by around 1pm and
they were just fininshing up road forcing tires for the umtenth time, I waited for over an hour and they still
had not come back. My thought is they might think that they can drive the vibration out of it
On my way out the Service Manager said that it's GM policy to redo everything the dealer
had done so I asked if they had time to pop in a new pinion as well as another set of Michelins or did he put
the Bridgestones back on and did he do the same to the truck they are using like mine out of inventory
with the very exact issues

I've not heard a peep so far today

Breaking News on any Vibration Updates to follow
Old December 11th, 2014, 4:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I am guessing they have ruled out drive shaft, transmission and flex plate?

vibration comes from something heavy spinning or something not so heavy spinning fast...

Quick Reply: 2014 silverado with a bad vibration