Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2500 HD Torsion Level

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2013, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 HD Torsion Level

I have a 2007 (Newer Body Style) 2500 HD Ext Cab 6.0 4x4 WT with a Warn Transformer grill guard and a 12,000 pound warn winch. Today I measured and from the front to the back there seems to be about 3 n 1/4 inches difference. The back sits up really high which I like and the front being lower just gets on my nerves. I looked also today and it looks like the bolts are about half way in right now on the torsion keys. I was just wondering how much the stuff (Guessing maybe 225 pounds) will sag the torsion bars and if I can level out the whole truck by cranking. I have also read many things about people cranking torsion bars and messing up stuff on the front end because of the geometry and whatever other things. The truck has 115,000 and no warrenty so no worries there just wondering what yalls opinion is. I would really like to just level out the truck not lift it purely because of cost and I feel like if the front sat up as high as the back it would look like a lifted truck. I know the front ride will also suffer but I used to drive a 80 chevy 3/4 ton so I am very used to a rougher ride and if im not fine with it I can just lower it some. My main concern is not tearing up the front end but would really like it leveled. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and any suggestions, advice or tips would be greatly appriciated. First truck ive ever had with IFS so new to it all! Thanks alot and have a great day.
Old May 17th, 2013, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

if you crank the torsion bars you'll need the alignment adjusted and yes it is harder on the balljoints and cv axle angles
Old May 17th, 2013, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With that heavy bumper up front you won't level it but you can raise it up with levelin keys to get it pretty close cranked all the way up.
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Is it fine if I crank up my current keys as far as I can on my factory keys and see how far I can get? So I might not have to buy the new keys. And also how many inches can I lift before I will run into any major issues with the suspension after re-alignment. I am fine with buying new keys if I have to just dont want to wast the money if I dont have to. I am thinking about cranking my keys all the way tommorow and see how it turns out, is that a bad idea?

Last edited by WyattChevy; May 17th, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM
CF Active Member

The main reason the truck sits higher in the rear is when you load the bed with weight it then becomes level unless you overload it. If you don't use your truck for hauling anything then try first to adjust the stock keys. Make sure you are on level ground and have rocked the truck to get it stock level, then adjust your keys equal turns until height is obtained. I have a 2001 2500Hd and did the same with fairly good results. Then take in for a good alignment.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

You can crank the stock keys all the way up and if wont hit anything. Not until you put in levelin keys and crank those all the way do you run into problems
Old May 18th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Well my dad just OKed the idea so tommorow cranking all the way up and we can see how it goes. Id really like to level it out but I guess more is better than how low it is now. If I post some pics of before and after the crank can yall tell me if everything looks fine or not? I know itll wear slightly faster but still dont wanna tear anything up too bad.
Old May 19th, 2013, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah post some pics. I really doubt that crankin stock keys you'll run into any problems
Old May 27th, 2013, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry, have been super busy with school stuff lately but pics will be coming soon. Checked both upper control arms n they have bout a inch of clearance at ride height on each side, the uppers also dont look at a bad angle along withe the half-shafts! got the front up about 2 inches after settelling with a 1.5 inch difference now, but I think im just going to keep it there! Looks so much better and thanks for the help!