Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

4L80 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2015, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

Originally Posted by TRICKLE
I have a 2000 chevy silverado 2500 6.0Lwith only 115000kms on it over the last couple monthsthe4L80 transmission hasbeenhaving really hard shifts after drivingon the highway for 30-40 min in D4 the engine light comes on and the code p1870 comes up on the code reader i had the chevy dealershipreplace the solonoidand pressure valveflush out everything and 700 bucks later i still have the problem they said i need a new tranny i took my truck to a transmission shop they installed a regulatorand said there was a littleblack soot in the valve body and is hinting towards a new torque convertor but with noguarantee to fix the problemand once again 550 bucks later SAME PROBLEM if there is anyone out there who could shoot me some good advice would be awesome
Hello, I have a chevrolet silverado extended cab Z71 1500, today I have just had my truck in 3 shops back to back for the past ten days, and the transmission slippage, or knocks hard occurs when it warms up and goes into 2nd gear with a good amount of force. This is physically hard on me since I was in a serious accident already, had a broken neck. I did a lot of research on this and found out that GMC well knows about this issue and they have chosen not to fix or replace these faulty transmissions. Most people are getting the run around and repairs are nothing more than band aids, until your warranty runs out. It is definitely not a cheap problem for the owners of these trucks and some cars, SUV's also have this issue. What really upsets me is the manufacturer knows about these faulty Transmissions, and refuse to do a recall, fully knowing that the transmissions are inevitable to break down, and can also be a major safety issue. Go to complaints.com. and look at the masses of people who are having this problem and after the warranty expires, they are faced with paying for a brand new transmission! Shame on you GMC!!! It's not like they don't know because it's plastered all over the Internet, and sad to see people who either didn't research the known issue or waited until the warranty ran out and then they have to cough up 2 to 3,000 to buy a new transmission. This is as mentioned, a safety issue, especially when the slippage of the gear or gears suddenly renders your vehicle
unabled to stop! ! Don't let the service techs basically bluff you into believing that there's nothing wrong with your transmission. This has just happened to me, but I know better. Whether you have a warranty still in force or not, be advised that unless you speak up , you'll end up with a broken down truck needing a new transmission, when it's the fault of the manufacturer using cheap parts from the start. You will be amazed at how many people have been affected by these transmissions, and they were all told the same thing, " there's nothing wrong with your transmission"
The consumers should not be liable to PAY OUT OF OUR POCKET for a well-known manufacturer screw up!!!

Last edited by gracethroughJesus; June 10th, 2015 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pod423
I am currently having possibly the same problem.
I have a 00 Silverado 6L with 104K miles. It has had an easy life. I am the second owner and my dad was the first. I noticed after about 20-30 min of pulling my 6K lb horse trailer at about 55-60 mph then when I would slow down to a stop light, stop, and take off. When my truck would shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th (any or all of the gears) my truck would jerk forward hard. At first I thought one of the brakes on my horse trailer was causing the problem like a hung brake or something that is what it feels like. I noticed the first time it started doing it I was hauling approx 1h 30min away. After 45min of the trip my trans temp was at about 200 so I pulled over turned off the truck and sat for about 15min. The trip doesn't involve alot of hills at all. Its one of the easiest trips I take to go riding. Got back into the truck and finished the trip down. It was good til about 10min before my house and it started again. After that I noticed the trans temp didn't have to be high for the truck to do this. I started driving the truck to work just to see how it would act. It started doing it just everyday driving. It will do it after its warmed up like 10-15min down the road at 55-60mph. Also the trans temp is running about 180-185 now which is about 10 higher than normal. The trans fluid/filter was changed at approx 70K. The fluid is at proper level. All of this has occurred during the fall/winter in East TN. One other thing to note. The very first problem that I noticed was when driving down the road w/o trailer, you know those mini speed bumps that warn you there is a turn coming up? Well I would be driving pushing the gas and the truck would vibrate like I had just gone over a set of those. Once I take my foot off it goes away. Out of all of these problems, the vibration and the jerking, the vibration may happen or may not its luck of the draw. The jerking will always happen with my trailer (which I had another truck pull to definately rule out that) and will most likely happen when bobtailing. Please help!! I don't know whether I should take it to a dealership or a transmission place. What are your suggestions?

Pod423
I'm having the same vibration that stops when I let off the gas. Occasionally I get some squeal noise as well on takeoff - did you ever diagnose what was wrong with your transmission?
Old January 27th, 2016, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by alphaphaedrus
I'm having the same vibration that stops when I let off the gas. Occasionally I get some squeal noise as well on takeoff - did you ever diagnose what was wrong with your transmission?
I have the same exact problem. What did you did you guys do to fix it? Mine started happening after a dealer recommended tranny flush at 50k miles on a dealer installed replacement transmission at 120,000 miles. I've already blew $3500 on the first replacement. I don't want to have to do that again. Thanks for the advice in advance
Old March 9th, 2016, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default 4l80 stalling motor in reverse

I have a 2000 Sierra 2500 6.0 with the 4l80. Problem started only in reverse, it runs through all forward and lockout beautifully but as soon as I shift into reverse it kills the motor. Now it does it if I shift into manual 1st as well. Had it in a shop for 2.5 weeks just for the mechanic to tell me all he did was pull the pan and it was clean, that he didn't know what was wrong and wanted to do a full rebuild. Anybody seen this sort of thing before?
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Hello folks: I have a 2001 Chevy Express 3500 (357, 5.7L) with a 4l80e Transmission in it. I just LOST my reverse two days ago while on a trip. It still drives FORWARD, however, it drives forward even while in Neutral (it appears to be in drive when in neutral). The ONLY way I can move the vehicle backwards is by turning off the vehicle and slipping it into reverse then pushing. This can not be accomplished while the vehicle is running. I am at a loss. Each shop I go to tells me something different. "Selenoid" "Torque Converter" "New Tranny" and so on....I sure could use some insight here as I am 1200 miles from home. Thanks
Old May 4th, 2017, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem as blckdragn22

Originally Posted by blckdragn22
I don't know if this is a big issue or just a simple tranny flush, but I am having some interesting shift issues from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Granted, 1st gear in any automatic is prone to going before any other gear because, well it's 1st gear! Anyways, it doesn't matter if I left the truck warm up or drive cold (which I'd advise never to do if you can help it), but for some reason 1st gear will be hard and slow to move thru and then after climbing to 2500RPM or 3000RPM some days, she'll shift to 2nd and be fine after that with no problems.

I am just wondering if again if this is something I should be worried about OR I just need a tranny flush. Personally, I don't wanna replace my damn tranny, I'd rather just do a flush and filter change (if needed).

Anyone got an idea?

EDIT 1: My mileage is at 165,xxx now and it has been happening since I bought the truck. Don't know if this is normal for a high mileage 4L80E.
So where you able to find out what the issue was and fix it I'm having the exact same problem and am thinking about replacing the solenoid and the torque converter what do you think? Any help is great thank you very much
Old June 16th, 2017, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help. 4l80e

I've installed my rebuilt 4l80e, 2004 Express 3500,
Why are there two different connectors for the input and output
Vehicle speed sensors. I have the half oval, and a small rectangular two pin.
They are supposed to be the same. Both sensors are new.
Am I missing something?
Old June 20th, 2017, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado 2500hd 2004 2 questions

Hello. 2 things. There is a 2 second delay going from park or neutral to drive. And secondly, I'm having a hard shift from first to second.( when tow button on, there is NOT hard shift). Any ideas?? Thanks

Last edited by kennyplay; June 20th, 2017 at 6:01 AM. Reason: addition
Old August 27th, 2017, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

mine shifted hard in all gears until i cleaned this
its the main wires coming into the driver side of the 4l80e. passenger side on 4l60 i think. dont know whats involved in repairing the leak yet but i can tell you that the leak is completely unnoticeable by checking fluid level on the dipstick.
Old November 20th, 2017, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 04 GMC 2500HD 4x4 V8 Engine 4L80E transmission NP263HD Transfercase . My truck had running perfectly until my trip to Fort Brag Ca. going up hills had no problems going down hill different story .My truck would make this loud noise like i was dragging a coffee can of nails underneath .I did notice every time this would happen my RPMs would drop and it went away when i kept pressure on the gas . I just rebuilt my transfer case thinking this could have been the problem beings how i started getting pump rub .I have had my drive line balanced it was fine all fluids filters changed I no service engine light , I am still having this issue .Any Idea what could be going on .

Quick Reply: 4L80 transmission problems