Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.7 Lifter Replacement, Should I replace the cam also?

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2015, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Lifter Replacement, Should I replace the cam also?

I have a 99 5.7 in a Suburban that has 3 trashed lifters. I was going to replace all of the lifters, should I replace the cam as well? I was just going to do the lifters then I pulled one & looked at the roller, thought I'd ask before I continued. I haven't replaced a cam before. If I do replace the cam, what bearings, thrust washer, etc... should I replace with it or just swap out the cam? Thanks

Old August 9th, 2015, 7:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change the camshaft since you already have it partially tore down. The lifters show some uneven wear and debris could have marred the cam.

A new thrust washer is not that much and best to be replaced. The cam bearings are a different story, I would do as good of a visual inspection as possible and if you have the tools also check to see the diameter of at least the front bearing to see how worn it is.

Replacing the cam bearings while the engine is in the vehicle is damn near impossible.

Make sure you also inspect the pushrods especially those on the lifters that are damaged.
Old August 9th, 2015, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a cam, thrust washer & push rods & rocker arms for the damaged ones. Thanks Again.