Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Default 5.7 Vortec Engine Swap

I have a 1996 Silverado 2wdthat has a 5.7L Vortec in it right now. The motor has a bunch of miles on it an finally locked up. I found a 5.7 Vortec motor out of a 99 Tahoe 4wd that I could purchase. My question is... what are the major differences in these two motors and what all will I have to swap over? Any help at all would be awesome.

Thanks,
Michael
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 PM

Default RE: 5.7 Vortec Engine Swap

Easy swap, the motors are basically identical.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM

I will agree with ZX1100F1that they are almost identical. Almost being the key word. I am not sure but I think it should be a direct drop in to include the wiring harness, except for the fuel system and the computer. In 96 when they started the Vortec they had Central Sequential Fuel Injection. That should be what you have. If I remeber right they started putting Muti Port Fuel Injection on in 97. You should be able to get a wiring harness and a computer for that. If you know what it came out of and you want to know if the alternator and all that are the same go to a parts store and have them look them up for yours and for whatever the engine came out of. I think the fuel injection and computer is all that is different.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Contact Howellefi.com I would think something with ECU would need to be reprogrammed!?!?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Let me rephrase that:

The 1996 thru 1999 GM Vortec 5.7L engines are all identical and all use the CMFI fuel delivery systems.
It is a direct swap.

What do you think, that I make this stuff up?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default New engine locked up?????????

Hi Guys,

My husband just had someone install a new 5.7 Vortec engine in his 1997 Silverado 1500. The engine (supposedly) has never actually cranked over and we are being told that the bearing were shot because of a faulty Fuel pressure regulator. Sorry I am not a mechanic but how can an engine be locked if it has never cranked! Please any insight would help......
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
CF Active Member

i think you need to talk to your mechanics more it seems to me thier story has holes in it. i dont think that can happen if its never been cranked my guess is they messed up and dont want to admit it that would mean they have to replace it and i doubt they wanna spend that kind of money but i am not a mechanic either hopefully someone will give you some more advice but personally i dont know how thats possible to have it lock up without cranking it
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Tags
1996, 1999, 57, chevy, differences, engine, engines, gm, headers, motors, sale, silverado, swap, vortec, vortech