Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.7L Engine Miss. Very Frustrated! Tried Everything.

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2010, 4:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Blazer

Hello, I am a new member. I have a 1994 Blazer 1500. The original engine had 240,000 mile and #3 cylinder went bad about 3 year ago. It is in prestine condition so I elected for the Chevrolet dealer to replace the engine. Since then it has had a bad idle. It will surge, then smooth, then surge with a lean idle miss-fire from time to time. I have had it back to the dealer and we have been trying to figure this out for just about 3 years with no luck. Here is a list of parts replaced: Injectors, Fuel Pump, Recently Plugs, Cap and Rotor. After the tuneup the problem got worse. It sits and miss-fires i neutral and in gear. Back to the dealer and they replaced the distributor. Did not solve the problem. It is frustrating and money isn't easy but I really want to figure this out. Does anyone have any suggestions or have had the same problem?

Thanks you,

Rich
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

i finished read this forum(thread) and never heard anything about idle air control valve(sensor). that could be you guys problem. my truck was doing exactly what you guy explained miss/sputter/stall when warm and when pressing on the gas pedal. after i changed the idle air control valve(sensor) it fix that problem.
Old January 31st, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gvandude
Hello John,
I have the exact same problem w/ my 95 G20 van w/ 5.7 TBI. I just purchased the van. I tuned it up. Still lugs. Have you fixed the problem yet? Anyone else with this problem? Solutions?
Thanks
Yup, same van, same problem. Replaced intake manifold gaskets, did full tunup;, replaced fuel pump ...

Problem was the Idle Air Control valve! One MUST remember to clean out the valve seat with carb cleaner or the engine will still stall from an idle, from time to time
Old February 2nd, 2011, 6:27 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a similar problem after changing a thermostat. After MANY parts later, I found a ground wire I left off one of the thermostat housing bolts!!! Duh. Bad, no ground will make the system do crazy things.
Old February 26th, 2011, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

To the guy who mentioned he needs a new catalytic converter, i was told that i need a new catalytic converter for my 94 GMC 5.7L K1500. Im getting the rough idle, lack of power, so on and so fourth.
Old March 4th, 2011, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 89 Chevy Silverado 305 tbi and it had been rough wouldn't gas up very good!Stall out when i'd put it in gear tried to pinpoint it forever!Well last night i took off breather and when i put it back it died!Well to get to the point anyone with the Throttle body setup better watch wires will get pinched in between plate guides and breather plate and you'll get the stalling rough idle,even lose power in Gear!I'm so happy if found the problem i just figured i'd give a heads up to everyone!
Old January 7th, 2012, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1996 5.7 1500

im having the exact same problem with my truck just today i was working on replacing the timing chain which is very worn im hoping thats gona do it for mine ill post when im done... Have you done any other thing to it lately... i had a guy look at it and said that my cam was worn im hoping thats not the case... but any suggestions would help..
Old January 7th, 2012, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

im having the same problem with my truck 1996 5.7 im currently working on it im replacing the timing chain which looks very worn im hoping that does it for mine.. but i had a guy look at it and told me that if that didnt take care of it then most likely was the cam worn which im hoping thats not the case let me know what happened with yours.. thanks
Old January 7th, 2012, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

im having the same problem let me know what u ended up doing to fix if u fixed it... im replacing the timing chain on mine hoping that does it but i was told by someone that if that doesnt fix it than most likely would be the cam that is worn out...
Old January 7th, 2012, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

im not 100% on this but i read that there is a controll unit behind glove box that u suppose to be able to adjust timing.. and for vacuum use little propane torch gas around intake and tbi.. ull notice idle change if it presents a issue..engine running of course..

Quick Reply: 5.7L Engine Miss. Very Frustrated! Tried Everything.