Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6 Speed Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Speed Tranny/TPS Issues??

I have a 2009 with a 5.3l, 6speed, 4x4, 3.42 rear end. It came with the Z71 package and has the 18" wheels. I have been having problems with the transmission and I am wondering if anyone else has experience similar problems. 55k miles.
Here is what happens.
When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly (under normal driving, when I hammer on it, this doesn't happen) down into 2nd and third gear...it goes to 2nd before I even make it through the light. So, when I want to then bring it up to speed, it is already locked down into usually 3rd and wants to stay there unless I go past probably 3/4 throttle, at which point it jumps down violently to what feels like 1st. Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage. Very, very annoying as it does that all the time..so neighborhood/slow speed city driving really stinks. Tranny is very confused. If I put it into tow/haul, it stays in gear much longer and there is no issue. Seems like it might be tuned for an engine with much more torque or a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end.

2nd. When slightly rolling (1mph or less) and then trying to accelerate, there is a slight 1/2 second delay, then the power kicks in and everyone's head jerks back. I have to be very, very, very gently on the pedal and feather it through this until the engine/power engages. This seems like it might be a throttle issue or something to do with the fuel delivery. Does this truck have a throttle cable, or is it electronic?

3rd. Problem. Towing. Under hard acceleration (not w.o.t., but well past 3/4 throttle) and towing 2k--4K trailer, there are multiple times where the tranny "jumps" or slips in between 2nd-3, 3-4, and 4-5. Engine revs slightly and it jerks into gear. Again...seems confused.

I have had this truck to the dealer for warranty work on tranny. There are no codes. They could find nothing. I explained everything to my dealer as I have in this post. It is due to go in again. I checked tsb's and couldn't find any that seemed to be related to the issues I am having. HELP

Last edited by super6; January 19th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 3:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> super6,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Sierra. I have searched my resources and have been unable to find any known transmission issues with 2009 Sierra vehicles. If you would like, I may be able to find additional information if you PM me your VIN number.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome of your next dealer visit.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still having tranny issues

I have a 2009 with a 5.3l, 6speed, 4x4, 3.42 rear end. It came with the Z71 package and has the 18" wheels. I have been having problems with the transmission and I am wondering if anyone else has experience similar problems. 55k miles.
Here is what happens.
When I pull away from a stop, it shifts very, very quickly (under normal driving, when I hammer on it, this doesn't happen) down into 2nd and third gear...it goes to 2nd before I even make it through the light. So, when I want to then bring it up to speed, it is already locked down into usually 3rd and wants to stay there unless I go past probably 3/4 throttle, at which point it jumps down violently to what feels like 1st. Seems like it is tuned very, very aggressively for mileage. Very, very annoying as it does that all the time..so neighborhood/slow speed city driving really stinks. Tranny is very confused. If I put it into tow/haul, it stays in gear much longer and there is no issue. Seems like it might be tuned for an engine with much more torque or a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end.

2nd. When slightly rolling (1mph or less) and then trying to accelerate, there is a slight 1/2 second delay, then the power kicks in and everyone's head jerks back. I have to be very, very, very gently on the pedal and feather it through this until the engine/power engages. This seems like it might be a throttle issue or something to do with the fuel delivery. Does this truck have a throttle cable, or is it electronic?

3rd. Problem. Towing. Under hard acceleration (not w.o.t., but well past 3/4 throttle) and towing 2k--4K trailer, there are multiple times where the tranny "jumps" or slips in between 2nd-3, 3-4, and 4-5. Engine revs slightly and it jerks into gear. Again...seems confused.

I have had this truck to the dealer for warranty work on tranny. There are no codes. They could find nothing. I explained everything to my dealer as I have in this post. It is due to go in again. I checked tsb's and couldn't find any that seemed to be related to the issues I am having. HELP

2 times ago at my dealership they gave me a 2012 as a loaner. Totally different truck even though it had the same engine and the same tranny and the same rearend (3.42). Clearly the 2009 needs an updated tune , but GM refuses to both acknowledge this and act on it. Help. Somebody. Please.
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still having tranny issues

Here is what happens.

2 times ago at my dealership they gave me a 2012 as a loaner. Totally different truck even though it had the same engine and the same tranny and the same rearend (3.42). Clearly the 2009 needs an updated tune , but GM refuses to both acknowledge this and act on it. Help. Somebody. Please.
Old March 21st, 2012, 4:51 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Possibly a damaged 2-4 band or 3-4 clutch, just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. Is there any aftermarket equipment on the vehicle (i.e. serpentine belt, clutch pump, etc.)?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 22nd, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Well, that is the first time someone has offered something that might actually make sense. Please contact my dealer...Miller Chev. Rogers, MN and talk to Larry (service manager) and Dean Nelson (my service rep). They know the whole skinny on my deal. I would really, really like to get this thing fixed/working properly. the last 8 of my VIN are: 9G188922
Old March 22nd, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Everything is completely stock since new...nothing aftermarket.
Old March 25th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default same problem

i have 08 3500hd 6.0 w/6spd 3.73 rear and have the same first 2 problems ur having. dealer offered no help
Old March 26th, 2012, 3:11 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> woogie1667,

Any warning lights? Was the dealer able to read any codes?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 27th, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

no codes.dealer did say that gm has a bulletin out on this problem.
bulletin says its set up that way to reduce slap in the driveline.
just hard to believe gm would set it up that way with the hesitation
its put me in couple sticky situations.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Tranny issues