Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 chevy starting problems

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 chevy starting problems

the problem has gotten worse than it was. when starting the truck for the first time, after sitting all night, it will run but then begin to act like it wants to die. sometimes it dies and sometimes it doesnt but and it has had its cough for the day then its good to go all day with now problem. thought i would change the fuel filter, its cheap and doesnt hurt to change it anyway, but when i went to change it i saw the the other filter was on backwards. not sure how muh of a difference that did on .
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Senior Member

What's the fuel pressure?does it drop to zero over night?do you hear the pump run for about 2 seconds when you cycle the key to the on position but not start it
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

havent checked the pressure but didt make sure it came on like its suppose to when you turn the key on, you hear the pump kick on and run a few seconds then stops.
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1996 Chevy pickup starting problem

Check the seal between the throttle body and the plastic duct coming from the Mass Air Flow Sensor. There is meant to be a metal clip on the base of the plastic piece that indexes with the flange on the front of the throttle body that might be broken off. I sealed mine with gray Permatex and it starts perfectly now. Air leaking in there bypasses the MAF sensor so it will run lean and be hard to start.
Sea Foam rocks!