Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To All Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Owners

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To All Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Owners

I currently have a 2012 Ford Super Duty with the 6.7L diesel. I'm sure most of you have heard about the horrendous EGT Sensor and other related exhaust sensors problems with this truck and engine. My truck has 35,000 miles on it and is in the shop for it's 2nd EGT Sensor in 3 years. Two other sensors have failed in this same 3 year period. The problem with the EGT sensor is once it goes bad, the truck shuts down and you can't restart. This includes while you're driving although you'll get a brief message (PULL OVER NOW) and a few seconds to pull over before this happens. I bought this Ford after owning 6 Chevy trucks. My Chevy trucks all experienced some problems, most minor, so that's why I thought I'd give Ford a try (I know, dumb ***)! The one thing I can say about the Chevy's, reference the problems I had, none of them ever caused/would cause the truck to shut down or not run. This I've learned now is rather important!
So, my questions to you are:

- Do the Chevy 2500 HD's with the Duramax Diesel have the same/any issues with any exhaust sensors?

- If they do have failures/issues, did Chevy incorporate a fix (new sensors) that actually work or don't have further failures?

I ask the last question because the Ford sensors are being replaced but they continue to fail because Ford isn't addressing why they're failing.
Bottom line.....I'm ready to come back to Chevy, give me some good news!
Old June 13th, 2015, 7:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Tpl33,

I can't add to your post, but i wanted to thank you for it. I currently have an 08 silverado 1500 6.0l. I pull a 10k camper (pull behind). My truck is starting to show signs of aging at 105k miles. I'm considering upgrading to a 3500 truck. With that said my bud has a ford 2500 diesel and that thing always seem to be in the shop.

Think I'll stay with the chevys. Although, like you, I am looking at the dodges as well. Still on the fence.
Old June 20th, 2015, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the new nightmare of EPA controlled diesels. Take a look at the commercial semi trucks with this new stuff, and you will not feel so bad about yours. Bad enough the cost to fix this stuff, but with a commercial truck, it also costs over $1000 a day in lost revenue to the truck.
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new 2014 GMC 3500HD diesel because we use (abuse) 'em at work and they seldom have problems. Not a big fan of having to add DEF, but torque is great...pulls my 13,000# fifth wheel with no problem. Low DEF will limit speed to 5 mph if you let it get too low, but it gives you plenty of warming first.