Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What couldve caused my truck to overheat?

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2010, 8:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What couldve caused my truck to overheat?

93 silverado with 250,000 miles

replaced the thermostat and water pump when I first bought truck a few months ago. The engine would overheat and the upper radiator would be cold. Replaced thermostat and it stayed cool. The coolant temp gauge would go to about a quarter hot.

A few days ago I noticed the gauge was at half way and then another day it was a little past full... and then it cooled down right back to about a quarter again. Today, I drove about 3 blocks to get a pizza and then drove to mcdonalds right up the street. The temp gauge was 3/4's almost to red when I was sitting at the drive through and then when I pulled out to go get my pizza, the gauge went down a little more but then it went down to half. Then after I got the pizza and drove home, the gauge needle went to red and I immediately shut off the truck. Both upper and lower radiator hoses were hot and I could hear bubbling in the upper hose. There is more than enough coolant in the resevoir. What could it be? I almost thought that maybe it isnt sucking up the coolant into the radiator from the resevoir and maybe there isnt enough coolant in the radiator. I havent looked yet because its too hot to open the radiator cap. I thought it was because it was hotter weather now. But I dont think thats the case. Its only 67 degrees out right now.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bad thermostat, clogged system, faulty water pump (even new parts fail quick sometimes) internal water leak. check the oil condition for a milky like coloring, check radiator coolant for brownish/black tint.
Old June 8th, 2010, 1:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you replaced the water pump, did you burp the cooling
system?
Old June 8th, 2010, 6:06 PM
CF Active Member

My oil looks normal. I burped the system after I changed the thermostat.

I opened up the radiator cap today and the coolant in the radiator was low so I added coolant to the top. It took almost half a gallon. The truck now cools down. I notice that the coolant resevoir always stays the same level like the coolant in the resevoir never moves. The resevoir cap is loose and sometimes it pops up. Could that be it? Or could my radiator cap be bad?
Old June 8th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

have you checked all the lines going into the resevoir to make sure there was not and junk in there or a block from build up?
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Ride of the Month
May 2008

Location: Millbrook,Alabama...Slap dab in the middle of God's country

Sounds like it might be trying to tell you your eating too much fast food or it could be low on coolant due to a small leak that is keeping it from sucking the coolant from the tank.