Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Mod tips on projector headlights.

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod tips on projector headlights.

I re recently posted my problems with my Sonar halo projector lights for my '04 Silverado. I received my new set on Thursday and installed them that night. I aligned them based on DOT specs. It was the correct height at 25 feet, as I drove a bit the problem happened again. The left projector cannot keep the height level due to the limit on the adjustment screw. The projector gets pushed out too much and the retention peg that holds the projector is pushed out and the projector swivels on the two adjustment screws on the bottom of the projector. As you drive around and the light vibrated, halo drops down and the beam shoots down ward. It only happenes on the left light, same as my previous set. I'm not sure if this is a deffect, but I'm sure its dangerous when you cant see the road. Here's how I fixed it.
You need a drill, a 1/8 inch drill bit, #8-32x1" machine screw, and screw driver. Drill a hole on top of the lip on the back of the projector housing. Carefully thread the screw through the hole. Remove the screw and place the rubber gasket back on the lip of the projector housing. Use the drill bit to poke a hole aligned with you threaded screw hole. (do this by hand to keep the sealing property of the rubber gasket. Push the screw through the rubber all the way through you threaded hole. (becareful not to crossthread the hole) As you tighten the screw, it pushes on the projector which prevents it from dropping. You are creating a stopping screw. Now you have a height adjustment screw. The rubber keeps moisture out, the screw doesn't heat up, and it is easy to access the bulb without having to remove your new adjustment screw.
I haven't done this to the right headlight, because it seems to keep it's pisition. I hope this helps, and if anyone can instruct me on how to post photos on this sight, I will post some pics. Sonar makes a great product, but they forgot how high truck headlights are.
Old May 9th, 2009, 1:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

To post pics, instead of using the quick reply, click "Go Advanced". Scroll down until you see "manage attachments" click it and the rest will be mostly self-explanatory.