Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

exhaust and muffler newbie

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2012, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust and muffler newbie

i have a 2002 2500HD chevy silverado v8 with the 6.0 vortex. i wanted to get a new muffler to make my truck sound better and maybe give me some better power. the exhuast is dual 3in inlet to the stock muffler and dual 3in outlet that then goes to a y pipe and then a single tailpipe.i also have 2 cats. i was wondering if anybody has this same set up and how they upgraded. Thanks in advance.
Old January 25th, 2012, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you could find a dual in dual out muffler and just slap it on, cut the y after the exhaust and either have tips comin out the back or dump it, or you could get 2 separate mufflers and either dump it or run it out the back. What kind of sound do you like? search up youtube and look there for sounds you like
Old January 25th, 2012, 5:44 PM
CF Active Member

i like the true duel exhaust sound but im not sure. iv heard things about the flowmaster muffler drowning? not sure what that mean exactly
Old January 25th, 2012, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

I would like it to loud, not loud enough to wake the dead but loud
Old January 25th, 2012, 6:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not a fan of flowmasters, never will be.

I'd put some 18" bullets in place of the stock exhaust and cut the Y after the mufflers and run tips out for a trual dual look if that's what you want
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:11 AM
CF Active Member

what do you think of two flowmaster 40s?
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

flowmasters are crap some people will try to tell you other wise
me personaly i dont like the sound and frome experience they rot out quick and dont follow well at all because off all the internal baffles in it and chambers restricts flow a straight through muffler like a magnaflow or dynomax would be great the longer the mufflers the louder and the longer ones have deeper tones
Old January 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

as he said, a straight through muffler is what you want, but the shorter they are in length the louder they are and the longer the deeper and more mellow they are
Old January 27th, 2012, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

so you suggest putting on two dynomax mufflers and running two pippes right out? you two are the first to say anything about flowmasters not being good. all iv heard is how good they are. i was considering two 40 series flowmasters
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:41 AM
CF Active Member

well i used to say the same then i started my research and looked at flow charts flowmaster isnt well on the flow chart and not good for performence they rot out fast depending on climate

well if your goining to run two dynomax bullets then i suggest the 18 inch ones and a x pipes for best sound because you have a 6.0 it doesnt take much to make it loud

but i will be the first one to tell you this if your looking at mufflers you like dont let peoples opinion be why you got what you got get what you want to get on your truck we only offer suggestions

Quick Reply: exhaust and muffler newbie