Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Factory brake controller...DIY?

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2012, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory brake controller...DIY?

Hi folks, just picked up my 'new...' 2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Short Box 4.8, (3.42), LT with "H.D. Trailering Equipment...$475.00" listed on the window sticker.

I can see that the package includes the 7 pin connector and 2" hitch, but no brake controller. I was going to install the one from my last truck, but after seeing a buddy's factory controller I think that would be a nice clean, neat way to go. No knee busting controller screwed to the lower console panel under the steering wheel!

However, before I head down to my friendly dealer to spec the price on the factory controller option, ( my buddy wasn't interested in swapping panels, hahaha, but I did ask! ), I was wondering if it is a reasonable route to go, or is there more to it besides a simple panel swap and connector connection?

Anyone done this?

Jim

PS...I don't have the 'full' digital display function in the tach window, just the basics....so I doubt it would show the 'trailer gain' or other trailering features.

Last edited by jakfrost; December 17th, 2012 at 7:07 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

OK...so I guess this isn't a big DIY kinda forum, I get it. Or perhaps everyone who doesn't have the factory 'towing package' and wants to use the 7 pin trailer connector for what it was made for, simply drills holes in the lower panel under the steering wheel and bolts up an aftermarket brake controller.

Is that because the OEM version is inferior to the aftermarket units? Or because its too much trouble to swap the whole panel, ( one hex head bolt, 2 philips screws, 3 friction tabs...?), or maybe just not worth the trouble.

Anyway, guess I'll go by the dealer on Monday and see how much it costs to buy the factory unit.

Happy Holidays all,
Jim
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2011 1500 has towing package with no brake controller, that's the one thing i don't like about it. i want to put one in myself
Old December 22nd, 2012, 3:03 AM
CF Beginner

jakfrost, Please post your dealer's response because I was planning to do the very same thing in a few weeks. I am interested to know what they quote you for it. I have never had to have a trailer brake before, but I always hit my knee on the ones in my friends vehicles and I hate that. I appreciate your response.
Dave
Old December 25th, 2012, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Found time yesterday to sneak into the dealer's between errands for the wife...got 'some of the answer' but I don't think I'm done yet.

Didn't have a lot of time but found a part # for the 'Bolster, IP (instrument panel), Knee, Left Side'...2277-3443.

The image on the computer shows the panel with the brake controller 'controls' in the panel, but since the price for that part # is only $180.00 (Canadian), and the sales manager says the GM brake controller unit itself is like $300.00...I suspect that the $180.00 only gets you the panel, and not the controller itself, which I guess would sit behind the panel. So the total might be closer to $500.00. YIKES.

Anyway, I'll check a little further by climbing into a new unit on the lot in a day or so to have a look at what is behind that panel on a 'trailer towing package' equipped vehicle.

If it were by some miracle only $180.00 for all you need then I'm there with the berries in a flash!

Jim
Old December 26th, 2012, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

I just got off the phone with a parts guy at my local dealer, and he said it isn't an option to retrofit the factory brake controller on the Silverados. I am going to call another dealer though. He didn't seem at all confident or knowledgeable. If you can find part #'s i would appreciate you trying to add them here. Thanks for checking!
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Jakfrost, did you ever end up getting the factory parts?
Old January 11th, 2013, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry...just got home last night and no time to follow up on my quest. I'm hoping for an opportunity latter half of next week!

I'll post all or any information I can dredge up. The dealers keep saying that no one has EVER asked this before...??

Great to be first...not

Jim
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 3 dealers, no luck

I have checked around now with 3 dealers and they tell me there isn't a part # for the factory trailer brake. I concede. I just purchased a Primus IQ (same company as the Prodigy controller). Sorry!
Old April 16th, 2013, 5:49 PM
CF Junior Member

GM does not recommend installing the factory brake controller to the system. It is more complicated than just some electrical connections.

#PIT4729C: Adding Intergrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - (Aug 18, 2011)

Subject: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1

Models: 2007 - 2012 Chevrolet Silverado

2009 - 2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 - 2012 GMC Sierra

2009 - 2012 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIT4729B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full Size pickup/utility when the vehicle was not ordered with the option.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is to advise you that if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1) it cannot be added to the vehicle.

Note: Bulletin 07-08-45-001F or later advises how to install an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

ADDITIONAL SI KEYWORDS:
connector electric hydraulic ITBC TBCM tow towing wire wiring

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Quick Reply: Factory brake controller...DIY?