Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First timer needs clutch help

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer needs clutch help

I had to replace the clutch plates in my 1987 chevy v10 silverado. I just got the transmission and tcase back in and all the drive shafts set up as well as the clutch slave bled. I know the hydraulics are good, I've done those before, yet my clutch still will not engage. I think it might be the arm. I brlieve I set it up properly but obviously not. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust it without taling the tranny and tcase back off and making sure it just clips onto the clutch bearing and hooks onto the **** in the bell housing, no bolting or anything.
Old May 25th, 2013, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

*** I don't know why *** with a k was bleeped
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Update: it's not the fork. Backed the tranny out about an inch and a half made sure it was on right and checked the **** was screwed down tight with an alen wrench. Could the plate just be in backwards?
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to the forum... hopefully someone will respond to your question that has some practical experience...
Old May 28th, 2013, 3:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks and I hope so I've taken the thing apart three times already. Found out the throw out bearing was shot and replaced that just have to put everything back in again. I looked like a monkey trying to screw a coconut earlier holding the tcase steady with my knee while I tried to raise a floor jack and a tranny jack at the same time with my arms. It's been a nightmare since I got this truck.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

I've replaced the plates, fork, and throwout bearing and the clutch still will not engage. I have perfect even pedal pressure and the slave is engaging and pushing the fork fully. I'm at a loss and cabs to work are getting expensive.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Correction the clutch will not disengage
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

I've replaced the plates, fork, and throwout bearing and the clutch still will not engage. I have perfect even pedal pressure and the slave is engaging and pushing the fork fully. I'm at a loss and cabs to work are getting expensive.
Related to your earlier post, it used to be that a clutch disk would not go in backwards. I used to change a lot of clutches and occasionally ran into weird stuff with hydraulic systems so are you sure there isn't something going on with that? Pretty much a flywheel, clutch disk pressure plate, throw out bearing and the fork it sets on and then the bell housing. So though a lot of work and some heavy lifting, it's fairly straight forward. You say it doesn't 'work'... Can you describe better what that means? Exactly what happens when you put the clutch pedal down? Can you shift into gear and then back to neutral with the clutch pedal in with the engine shut off? Then what happens when you try with the engine running?
Old May 29th, 2013, 3:27 AM
CF Beginner

The plate is in coorectly I checked. When I push the pedal in I get even resistance all the way through and I've watched the slave as someone else pushes the pedal and it works properly pushing on the fork. The pedal now feels like it's in a brand new truck. When the truck is off I am able to go into all gears, I have a 4 speed, when I start the truck in neutral and push the pedal I still get proper response yet I can't shif into any gear. It doesn't even grind it won't go in at all I'm getting no disengagement of the clutch. I started it in gear, obviously it stalled immediately but I felt and heard the plate grab and lock like it's supposed to. The only thing I can think of is either the flywheel needs surfacing or there may have been shipping blocks inside the pressure plate. I was unaware they put tgem in until tonight when I was doing more research.
Old May 29th, 2013, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

P.S. I can shift into gears without using the clutch if it's off.

Quick Reply: First timer needs clutch help