Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas and break issues.. BIG Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 6:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas and break issues.. BIG Issues

So my truck (1996 c1500 5.7 2wd) started doing this just now- When I started it the break was pretty stiff, like I didn't have the truck running. When I put it in Drive it idled down to about 400 rpm's. I had to drive it back home from where I was so I went ahead and took off. As long as I'm actually moving down the road at a decent speed it doesn't seem to have a problem, but when I go to stop I have to basically stand on the break and then when I eventually stop it's died a couple times. One time I put it in N just to see if it would idle a little easier (it also started idling at about 1200 rpms, normally about 600), and it didn't seem to help. I left it there because it was also kind of jumping around and I didn't want to shoot forward. When the light changed and I put it back to D the rpms shot right down to almost completely dying out. I had to do this a few times and it DID completely die a couple of those times.
I have no idea even what to look for here. Part of me wants to say something electrical, but I really don't have anything to base that on. I just replaced the tps, but even if that was bad it wouldn't mess with the breaks like that.
Old January 10th, 2014, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

just guessing here but is the booster leaking? After the truck sits for a while, does the booster still have a vacuum reserve for 1 or 2 brake applies?