Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 Silverado 1500 issues PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2021, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Silverado 1500 issues PLEASE HELP!

I've never posted in a forum,but the amount of time I've looked trying to find out some answers,I figured it couldn't hurt. So my tranny went In my 1500 (4x4 with a 4.8). Got a 4l60e out of a wrecked 05' 1500 and finished the swap. It will only shift manually,but feels like its only using 2nd and 3rd. If I shift it down to 1st,there's no way of hitting 2nd,the column just glides to 3rd and shifts hard, if I go straight to D if shifts normal(doesn't slam) and goes into OD briefly b4 down shifting to 3rd. Cruise control,cluster,everything works,so any input would be appreciated. Lastly,this darn power steering. Its spewin from around the line that goes into the gear box.ill add a link to a clip on YouTube ill post so since this site does not support the file type.
Thanks to anyone in advance who can help
https://youtu.be/6POua703-HA
Old January 5th, 2021, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

If you’re still trying to figure this out:

First, The power steering line needs to be replaced. I’d recommend just doing all the lines at the same time as it’s likely the others will be leaking soon if they’re not already. The crimps are weak from the factory and known for developing leaks.

Second, There’s several possibilities for the transmission problems. Since you haven’t stated what you’ve done to diagnose the problem, here’s what I can think of/tell you at the moment:

1) The GM part numbers for the transmission are different for the 01 (24219080) vs the 05 (84037492) model 1500’s. Those part numbers are based on looking up the different model year trucks with identical options (1500, 4.8 w/ 4wd). I don’t know if that’s just because they’re different years or if it’s because there’s differences in valve body and clutch/gear set construction. If it’s internal manufacturing differences, you may need to have your PCM software updated or reprogrammed in order for the PCM to properly control the transmission.

2) The neutral safety switch/range sensors are different. The 01 has a 2 plug sensor whereas the 05 has a single 11 pin connector. Did you swap the range sensor from the 01 trans or attempt to re-wire the 01 harness to work with the 05 sensor?

Did you remove the connectors from the 01 range sensor? From the factory, those connectors are sealed with glue, so a heat gun is required to remove them. Even if you used a heat gun to remove them, it’s recommended to splice in replacement connectors as it’s difficult to get adequate terminal contact with them.

3) Are you sure you correctly connected other parts of the harness (speed sensors, transfer case, etc)?

4) When installing the replacement, did you have to swap the torque converter? If so, did you have any difficulty getting the torque converter to seat correctly onto the input shaft? Was there any chance the torque converter seals on the input shaft could’ve been damaged while attempting to seat it?

5) Have you pulled any trouble codes and what were they? Sometimes in situations like this, even seemingly random or unrelated codes can lead to a fix.
Old January 6th, 2021, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you gumby 22

Truly appreciate you responding. As of today all the power steering hoses have been replaced,don't you know the SOB still spewed the same way as before.
for the trans, I put a 2 plug neutral safety switch on the 05 trans,and trashed the old torque converter and kept the 05 with the one that came with it. Seated fine,3 bumps on,4 if u count the initial.no leaks. I did use a heat gun to remove plugs but just used contact cleaner and everything hooked up clean and tight. The only code being thrown is for an o2 sensor. How would I go about getting the software updated, and do you think that would be a good start to check off the list as possible cause,or what would you recommend starting with?
Old January 7th, 2021, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Lamb
Truly appreciate you responding. As of today all the power steering hoses have been replaced,don't you know the SOB still spewed the same way as before.
for the trans, I put a 2 plug neutral safety switch on the 05 trans,and trashed the old torque converter and kept the 05 with the one that came with it. Seated fine,3 bumps on,4 if u count the initial.no leaks. I did use a heat gun to remove plugs but just used contact cleaner and everything hooked up clean and tight. The only code being thrown is for an o2 sensor. How would I go about getting the software updated, and do you think that would be a good start to check off the list as possible cause,or what would you recommend starting with?
Have you done anything else with the power steering? After watching the video again (with a larger screen), it looks like the pump shaft seal is the source of the leak. The first time, I didn’t see the spray above the pump pulley on the mounting bracket. That, combined with the spray traveling from left to right suggests the fluid is leaking onto the shaft and then getting thrown off by the pulley.

Pump seal kits are available and easy to install if you’re inclined to do so. I’d recommend just getting a new or reman pump, because it’s a time saver; and also if it fails, you’ll have a warranty to fall back on.

Was the salvage yard a pick and pull or did they remove it for you? I’m just curious if you think it’s possible they sold you a trans that they weren’t sure would work or what - some of the pick and pull yards in my area (central Iowa) offer a 30 or 45 day warranty - replacement only, but that’s better than having to pay for a 2nd replacement.

Reprogramming or updating the PCM is best done by a dealer - they would have all the necessary equipment and program access to do it properly.

Without any transmission codes, diagnosis will have to be methodical. So let’s start with some basics:

1) Did you replace the filter? If so, were there any large particles in the pan? Sawdust sized particles are normal - splinter size particles indicate internal damage.

2) Are there any other symptoms? Things like cruise not working or the speedometer jumping around as you drive?

3) Are the tires on it stock or oversized? If oversized, was the truck reprogrammed for them?