Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I just flushed and changed my 2001 Silverado to Prestone. 112,000 mi and the heater wasn't working properly after that works like a champ!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
2004 GMC Envoy
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Default Dexcool v Prestone

Bobby,

How did you get all of the 'orange' stuff out? When you put in the Prestone coolant, does it show yellow/green in the reservoir - or is it still orange?

How many gallons did it take? Did you buy the pre-mixed stuff or did you add water?

I'l flush mine out soon - within a few weeks, I suppose; and I am leaning towards keeping Dexcool in my '04 Silverado - but will probably change it every other year (just to be safe).
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I drained the radiator put in one bottle of Prestone Flush and ran 10 miin. after it reached normal operating temp. Drained it and repeated procedure. After that I drained and put in a bottle of Prestone cleaner and ran it for a total of 3 hrs. I then drained it and filled with just water and ran it about 10 mins. drained and repeated that. Then filled with 70 - 30 mix and it's good to go. Yes it is green now.
flush twice
clean once
flush plain water twice
Then fill with proper mix it took about 3 gals. total I went 2 antifreez, one water probably overkill for my climate, 50 - 50 is probably ok unless you are in a cold climate
It took me a good portion of a Sat. afternoon to do the flush & clean then ater driving around the next afternoon to finish up.
I am not a mechanic and money is tight right now so I have begun doing as much of my own maint. as I can. Local shops wanted around $150-$200 to do what I did and I spent less than $50 on everything and Prestone even had a rebate on one jug of antifreez so net cost is about $30.I aso changed the oil in 3 of my vehicles while doing this saved about another $50 over what I have been spending plus there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.
2004 GMC Envoy

Last edited by Bobby; 03-09-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 AM
CF Active Member
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I drained the radiator put in one bottle of Prestone Flush and ran 10 miin. after it reached normal operating temp. Drained it and repeated procedure. After that I drained and put in a bottle of Prestone cleaner and ran it for a total of 3 hrs. I then drained it and filled with just water and ran it about 10 mins. drained and repeated that. Then filled with 70 - 30 mix and it's good to go. Yes it is green now.
flush twice
clean once
flush plain water twice
Then fill with proper mix it took about 3 gals. total I went 2 antifreez, one water probably overkill for my climate, 50 - 50 is probably ok unless you are in a cold climate
It took me a good portion of a Sat. afternoon to do the flush & clean then ater driving around the next afternoon to finish up.
I am not a mechanic and money is tight right now so I have begun doing as much of my own maint. as I can. Local shops wanted around $150-$200 to do what I did and I spent less than $50 on everything and Prestone even had a rebate on one jug of antifreez so net cost is about $30.I aso changed the oil in 3 of my vehicles while doing this saved about another $50 over what I have been spending plus there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.
$150-200 seems high for a coolant flush.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post
$150-200 seems high for a coolant flush.
Have you priced one lately? That was the range in looking online, besides I know how much time I had in mine and what supplies cost even with some sort of machine to do it I don't think that is an unreasonable amount.
Just my thoughts
2004 GMC Envoy
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

did you cut your heat on when you flushed it? and you are not that far from me only about an hour I am in winterville just outside of greenville

99 2 door tahoe/ 17x9 KMC XD Spy's/ 285-70-17/ Flowmaster 50 series exhaust

Last edited by 992door; 03-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Quote:
Have you priced one lately? That was the range in looking online, besides I know how much time I had in mine and what supplies cost even with some sort of machine to do it I don't think that is an unreasonable amount.
Just my thoughts
The Chevy service shop here threw me a number last week. I could have sworn it was just over $100.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes Cameron I did that was the main reason I did it the heater wasn't heating up as well as it should, and Iwanted to make sure the core got a good flushing also.

TS you may have gotten a price that low but I can't see how anyone could do what I did and make any money at a price like that. I spent $44 on antifreeze flush and cleaner plus a total of about 3 hrs in labor. The way I did it I know it was a thorough flush.
2004 GMC Envoy
Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 AM
CF Active Member

Quote:
Yes Cameron I did that was the main reason I did it the heater wasn't heating up as well as it should, and Iwanted to make sure the core got a good flushing also.

TS you may have gotten a price that low but I can't see how anyone could do what I did and make any money at a price like that. I spent $44 on antifreeze flush and cleaner plus a total of about 3 hrs in labor. The way I did it I know it was a thorough flush.
Just to clairify. I'm not arguing the cost at all. Was just surprised to hear it was that high is all.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM
CF Active Member

Okay, it was bugging me so I called the Chevy garage to ask the price. $109.95 for Dexcool flush in the Silverado.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Tags
2004, antifreeze, carlo, chevrolet, compatible, cool, coolant, dex, dexcool, flush, gm, monte, regular, silverados, stuff, yellow