Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2011, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

Hi all!

I'm working on my friend's 2002 Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L V8 trying to figure out an electrical problem. I borrowed the truck for a day and when I tried to start it, there was a click and everything was dead. From searching, there seem to be several electrical issues with this model so I did some diagnostics to try and narrow it down.

Here's what I've done/found so far:

1) The battery is fully charged and ready to go.
2) I cleaned the two ground connectors to the body under the hood. I could not reach the connection to the block to clean it but could feel it is not loose.
3) There is a relay that clicks every few seconds. The relay has part# 8567 on it and it is in a slot (in the relay block on the driver's side under the dash) marked "INADV PWR Relay" in the AllData manual. The relay below it marked "CTSY Lamp Relay" is the same relay so I swapped them to see if it was just the relay, but the other one does the same clicking.
4) When I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the light under the hood will come on, but nothing in the car comes on. I put the key in the ignition and it dings, but once the key is turned everything goes completely dead.

Any ideas as to what would cause this kind of problem? In my cars, it's usually a ground fault that causes freaky electrical problems like this, but I have only found the two grounds under the hood and they are both clean.

Thanks!

Last edited by DeliriousGA; May 25th, 2011 at 9:24 AM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 9:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has all the symptoms of bad batt cables or their connections.
Old May 26th, 2011, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
It has all the symptoms of bad batt cables or their connections.
Thanks. I got a similar answer on another forum, but I checked the connectors and cleaned them and forgot to post that part. I will go through them again and see if I can find a break in the line.

My friend did say that one of the grounds from the battery had a break in the middle of it under the sheathing about 5 years ago. Maybe it happened again.
Old June 30th, 2012, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

I have this exact issue. It started right after I got me new trailer home. I turned off the truck to unhitch the trailer and then when I tried to start the truck.. nothing, and the same clicking from the same relay. connections are clean and jumping it does not help. It actually started briefly after sitting on jumper cables for a while but would die immediately. Any thought?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

buenas la verdad que mi camioneta presenta algo asi y se calienta mucho esos rele me gustaria saber por que y que puedo hacer con ese problema quisiera saber si me pueden facilitar los diagramas
Old June 17th, 2017, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Did anyone find out the solution for this problem. My 2002 2500HD 8.1L is doing the exact same thing. Even the same relays are making noise. How do I fix it.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Drummermustang
Did anyone find out the solution for this problem. My 2002 2500HD 8.1L is doing the exact same thing. Even the same relays are making noise. How do I fix it.
In my friend's truck it ended up being the starter was fried.
Old June 29th, 2017, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? My 2002 Suburban is doing the same thing
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ed's 02 Suburban
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? My 2002 Suburban is doing the same thing
mine wound up being a bad battery. I replaced the starter and the ignition switch with no change to the problem. I hooked up jumper cables and it started right up. Took the battery to get tested, sure enough, bad battery. Put in a new one, fixed me right up. Never had a bad battery act like this before.
Old July 7th, 2017, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Thank A Lot !!!! Like you said Bad Battery. Replaced it and it cranked right up! Lifesaver