Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help! can't find the horn trigger wire

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! can't find the horn trigger wire

hello. new to the site. i have a big, yet probably silly, problem. the only thing left to get my 95 c1500 pickup through inspection is to fix the horn. i am trying to hook up a horn button on the dash, but i'll be darned if i can find the horn trigger wire. i have a haynes manual, which has been almost no help with anything i have had to fix, so far. it doesn't even talk about the horn! totally useless.

i have been told and have seen in several sources that the trigger wire is black. i was told it's at the base of the steering column. all i see is the harness going to the turn signal lever ( it has no black wire), the harness going to the ignition switch ( it has a black wire which i think is the ground and a black and white wire), and a connector that has a green wire and a black wire. that last one plugs into a cylindrical thing which is attached by a rod to the shift linkage...not that the manual even shows the shift linkage or this cylindrical thing, which i suspect may be the back up light switch ( automatic trans ).

i can't even find any parts break downs or anything else that might have pictures so that i could see where the contact, that rides on the horn ring, is.

getting frustrated and i am driving on temp tag that expired two days ago. can anyone tell me where this wire is or, even better, post a picture of it? i am one solder connection away from getting my truck past inspection. 15 minutes of work...if i can find this stupid wire.

i built my own chopper from the ground up, manufacturing 80 percent of the parts and i feel stupid because i can't find one simple wire! thanks.

Last edited by devilknight; January 11th, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails help! can't find the horn trigger wire-62534683.jpg   help! can't find the horn trigger wire-62534682.gif   help! can't find the horn trigger wire-62534557.gif  
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

hmmm no. not exactly. that's kind of what i am looking at when i am laying, crammed under the dash. but it doesn't show me where that wire is.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is in the big rectangle connector in the picture cavity A11. bottom row 11 over from right to left next to a brown wire
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

cool. that is pretty specific. after midnight and raining, here. i'll have a look at it tomorrow. hopefully that is it. thanks.
Old January 12th, 2012, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

that was it! thank you thank you thank you.
Old September 29th, 2017, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hey I need help do any body know where the u shaped wire plug into on a 1993 g20 van I just installed a column and thats the last wire I just can't seem to find it if any body know where I would greatly appreciate it