Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

high beams do not work.....

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high beams do not work.....

I jumped into my truck yesterday and switched the lights from off to all the way up on the switch on the left side of my dash. (1998 chevy silverado) I had no lights except dash light so I switched the switch to off and I had my low beams and no dash lights - then I switched it to the mid of the switch and I had low beams dash and tail lights. Does anyone know Why I dont have high beams?
Thanks if anyone could help. --- My haynes manual is not helping me since it tells me a typical wiring schematic and the wire colors dont match up on there prints.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: high beams do not work.....

I finally fixed the problem ---- I changed out the turnsignal/cruise/wiper/highlowbeam switch on my steering column. Wallla everything works good --- but boy that was a tough job -- and I was able to do it without taking off the steering wheel -- but I still disarmed the air bags for safety reasons.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 2:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Disarming the airbags was anexcellent idea on your part, lots of people get hurt or killed every year from accidental discharge, but nobody ever hears about it. I do at my job, cause we work in and around airbags all the time, thats the first thing wedo is disarm the airbags. Glad you resloved your problem.
Old May 24th, 2008, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

how did you disarm the airbag that is something good to know
Old May 25th, 2008, 7:20 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The fastest and easiest way to do it, is to d\c the battery and wait for 10 - 15 mins before doing any work. The airbag module will remain active for these 15mins untill its internal battery supply depletes.

If your in a hurry, a quicker way of doing it would be to d\c the battery, and hold the battery cables together for 30-60 seconds. This will deplete any source of voltage in the vehicle
Old May 27th, 2008, 3:32 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

One of my teachers told me that ECMs' etc.. can retain their info for up to 3 months when disconnectedon certain ones (mainly ford) but most will retain info for a couple of days. Wouldnt that mean that the sensors are still active? Can't you just pull an air bag fuse ,if there is one. I haven't looked.
Old May 28th, 2008, 7:46 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: a4d

One of my teachers told me that ECMs' etc.. can retain their info for up to 3 months when disconnectedon certain ones (mainly ford) but most will retain info for a couple of days. Wouldnt that mean that the sensors are still active? Can't you just pull an air bag fuse ,if there is one. I haven't looked.
The ECM's are holding memory when the battery is disconnected .... not voltage.
Old October 15th, 2017, 4:38 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 1995 Chevy van. and my high beams wont come on. i replaced the head lights and checked the fuses. and there good when i switch to high beams, my high beam light comes on. but my actual head lights dont come on why?