Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 6:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Ignition Key will not turn. Locked?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It worked!!

Originally Posted by Josh Glover
Hey this might sound crazy!!! I had the same problem. I searched all over the net for a solution just like you. I finally because i was desperate put the key in ignition and tapped it LIGHTLY with a hammer. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HAS WORKED FINE EVER SINCE!!!!!!!!! This is the best solution ive found besides putting a new lock cylinder in!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT WORKED!!! My friend had the same problem with her truck we just hit the key firmly on the end and it turned over. To be honest we hit the key several times to lightly (the first 3 times) then we finally hit the key harder and IT WORKED! Thank you for the great information in your post you saved the day!
Old June 24th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Hey this might sound crazy!!! I had the same problem. I searched all over the net for a solution just like you. I finally because i was desperate put the key in ignition and tapped it LIGHTLY with a hammer. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HAS WORKED FINE EVER SINCE!!!!!!!!! This is the best solution ive found besides putting a new lock cylinder in!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saved the day by finding this post,,,, tapping the Key worked,,,,, the steering wheel was able to turn but the ignition was locked on their 2003 Silverado thanks for the great info,,,, They got the Hay in!
Old August 30th, 2014, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Key wont turn

I have a 2006 chevy equinox awd v6. Problem is with ignition key not turning. I have about 160.000 miles. One day I just parked my car went back and key wouldn't turn. I tried jiggling key, applying break, moving shifter ( even though it's stuck in park due to key not turning.teied just about everything got a new key copy. Nothing has worked. I took apart the two plastic pieces around ignition on steering column and found a small pile of what appeared to be metal shavings directly under the ignition hole. I found many 06 equinox drivers complaint about same thing. Steering wheel isn't locking ( not sure if my model does). Any tips ideas as to what this problem could be? I went out and bought a new ignition cylinder and have called upon a locksmith. However as a last chance effort before spending 400.00 to have my key matches to a new ignition and replaced id like any other possibilities as to what can cause this.
Old September 1st, 2014, 3:48 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 truck, p/u'd in December 2013. It now has 14K miles on it.

Yesterday I could not turn key in ignition. This has happened before around four times. If one tried and tried (up to 20 minutes once), it would finally allow one to turn key and start engine.
I switched the key (as suggest on this forum) I was using (they provide two) and problem went away for 4 months.
Sitting at gas station after filling up and could not get either key to turn ignition for 20 minutes. Called Chevy's hot line and could not get anyone. Called AAA and started the process of having them tow vehicle when I got key to turn ignition on. I was just wrapping up conversation when key worked and could cancel service.

I DO REMEMBER ACCIDENTLY touching door opening THINGY as I left car to go in to pay for gas which put Theft ALARM on until I shut it off (less than a minute).

Could this be part of ANTI theft Scheme? You know, make key not turn for a time period?
Anyhow, my mind went to getting a lawyer and turning this truck over to dealer, since I have asked them to fix several times.
Anyone else have experiences like this????
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re ignition key

Originally Posted by cbonner
Hello everyone,

I have searched all over for a solution to my problem, but I can not seem to find someone that has the exact same problem.
There is one part that makes my issue unique it seems....

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS.
I can put the key into the ignition, but it will not turn. No matter how hard I turn it either direction it will not budge.
The gear shift is also locked and will not move.
Typically in all the other cases like this, thier steering wheel is locked as well, BUT...mine is not. I can freely turn the steering wheel.

Key Wont Turn (not even to ACC...it wont budge an inch)
Gear Shift Locked.
Steering wheel unlocked and can move freely.

I have tried moving the wheel left and right.
I have made sure the tires are straight.
Tried it with and without parking break. With and without stepping on the break.
I have rocked the truck forward and backward in sheer desperation.
I have checked the brake light fuse and a couple others.
I even tried my totally unused spare key.

Nothing works.
Right now I have unhooked the battery in hopes that it will maybe reset the computer or trick the truck somehow.
Gunna leave it like that for an hour.

Anyone have ANY ideas at all?

Thanks in advance,

-Chad Bonner
Re re
I have found the same exact issue with my. 06 equinox. Key wont turn and everything the same. I got to searchin and found that my steering column for my model doesn't lock which is odd considering it has been locked before. I'd check your make and model and see if your does. I also found a video on you tube with the same exact problem but his was with a Toyota. The video made me believe more that it's the ignition cylinder. After many fumbles with locksmiths ( not sure where you live but the ones in roseville ca , well are non- existent for my problem). So I've decided f-it even though all my research says it's the cylinder I'll be taking my vehicle to the dealership mechanic for inspection. Figure that way I'll know 100 percent instead of 90 percent and you won't have a guy just drilling holes that wont be responsible if he fubars it. Also one last tip when I spoke to the dealer they say it could just be the key is so stripped that I may need a key especially for my vehicle which they can make a key exactly for your vehicle using your vin number. That costs about 60.00. So I'll be getting a new key first (fingers crossed) and then new cylinder if key doesn't work.
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles
I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 truck, p/u'd in December 2013. It now has 14K miles on it.

Yesterday I could not turn key in ignition. This has happened before around four times. If one tried and tried (up to 20 minutes once), it would finally allow one to turn key and start engine.
I switched the key (as suggest on this forum) I was using (they provide two) and problem went away for 4 months.
Sitting at gas station after filling up and could not get either key to turn ignition for 20 minutes. Called Chevy's hot line and could not get anyone. Called AAA and started the process of having them tow vehicle when I got key to turn ignition on. I was just wrapping up conversation when key worked and could cancel service.

I DO REMEMBER ACCIDENTLY touching door opening THINGY as I left car to go in to pay for gas which put Theft ALARM on until I shut it off (less than a minute).

Could this be part of ANTI theft Scheme? You know, make key not turn for a time period?
Anyhow, my mind went to getting a lawyer and turning this truck over to dealer, since I have asked them to fix several times.
Anyone else have experiences like this????
I have a 2014 Avalanche that has 55,000 miles and it just did the same thing I'm getting it towed to chev dealer Monday. I also had to replace the wiper motor 2 months ago I never had to change one in all the cars I have owned. I think some of the GM components they are using lately are not the quality that they use to be.
Old October 20th, 2014, 1:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by garygve
I have a 2014 Avalanche that has 55,000 miles and it just did the same thing I'm getting it towed to chev dealer Monday. I also had to replace the wiper motor 2 months ago I never had to change one in all the cars I have owned. I think some of the GM components they are using lately are not the quality that they use to be.
Hey garygve! Please let us know how your dealership visit goes. We hate to hear your vehicle is being towed, but we're here to offer additional assistance if necessary. Just private message us your VIN and contact information if interested.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Legend

Hey man youre a legend, you got my work van working again with youre little trick. I was stuck in town after i inserted the weong key into the ignition. Thanks alot!
Old October 14th, 2015, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key wont turn

Well , if they want 300.00 or more to change the ignition switch My hat go off to the Poster who suggested to tap the key while in the ignition. it did not work the first time, but a few more light taps and bingo, I shot some dry lube in there after that and it is working like a Charm..Thank You great suggestion and it worked for me ..
Old March 1st, 2017, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cbonner
Hello everyone,

I have searched all over for a solution to my problem, but I can not seem to find someone that has the exact same problem.
There is one part that makes my issue unique it seems....

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS.
I can put the key into the ignition, but it will not turn. No matter how hard I turn it either direction it will not budge.
The gear shift is also locked and will not move.
Typically in all the other cases like this, thier steering wheel is locked as well, BUT...mine is not. I can freely turn the steering wheel.

Key Wont Turn (not even to ACC...it wont budge an inch)
Gear Shift Locked.
Steering wheel unlocked and can move freely.

I have tried moving the wheel left and right.
I have made sure the tires are straight.
Tried it with and without parking break. With and without stepping on the break.
I have rocked the truck forward and backward in sheer desperation.
I have checked the brake light fuse and a couple others.
I even tried my totally unused spare key.

Nothing works.
Right now I have unhooked the battery in hopes that it will maybe reset the computer or trick the truck somehow.
Gunna leave it like that for an hour.

Anyone have ANY ideas at all?

Thanks in advance,

-Chad Bonner
find your fusebox under the hood and pull all the white relays out and plug them back in. They might be hard to pull out. I tried everything thing even the battery then i thought like engineers. It Released the latching circuit