Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Improving gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Improving gas mileage

Has anyone tried Wait4Me Performance? I'm thinking of this as it is less $$$ than the other programers.

Jim
Old June 2nd, 2008, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

I can get up to 22 in my '04 silverado 4X4...until I have to stop and start. Then the best I can go is 17. Anyone tried switching to an electric fan?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
CF Junior Member

i've thought about it, but damn those things are expensive...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 7:19 AM
CF Active Member

my 06 came with electric fans from the factory. they are nice
Old June 4th, 2008, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. donno about acdelco, but HALO plugs are the only ones so far officially proven to improve mpg. not by much, 1.4%, still counts.
2. keep windows closed, drag steals mpg.
3. obviously, a/c will rob you.
4. get window visors, so that you can crack the window open without creating drag and running a/c.
5. easy on them brakes, plan braking to avoid harsh ones. lots of fuel lost then
&nbsp\\;
on a personal experience note, do not get involved with air intakes and hight flow exhausts. opposite to just high air flow filter, they reduce mpg, not improve it, by being power mods. yes, seafoam will keep your systems clean, i vouch for that. yes, full synth everywhere will help much. drive on freeway as much as you can, it goes nice 22 mpg average then. i have 2000 with 5.3 vortec, and drove around for some 8 mths with scangauge connected to OBD2 port, so i know my mileage like back of my hand.
on a general note - if you can drive rice grinder, why did you buy a full size pickup? to tow once a month? rent something. i can't and love comfort and safety of silverado, though i respect hondas and toyotas a lot, no go back to them for me, unless it's tundra.
Old June 4th, 2008, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

I just went from a 99 Ford Ranger ext. cab to a 2007 Silverado Classic crew cab and I must say the gas is not to far off from what I was getting. It is much hard these days to drive the truck ALL the time and I find myself riding my motorcycle more often during commutes.
Old June 5th, 2008, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Its a truck. Sounds like its getting pretty good gas milage to me. I have a 2003 2500hd ext cab that averages about 7 mpg with a 6.0L . It sounds bad but its the strongest work truck i have ever driven. Thats what they are made for. Trucks aren't grocery getters.
Old June 5th, 2008, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

i have to disagree with the above statement on intakes and exhaust. stock my truck got 12mpg city (i dont drive enough on the highway to count highway mileage so i dont care what it can get). after a CAI fom K&N and a 40 series flowmaster my MPG went up to 14.5 city. its not much considering the cost of the items but i like the look of the intake, the little better power at WOT from it and come on... trucks are not meant to be quite so the flowmaster speaks for itself.if you drive it responsibly the above mods will not have a harmful effect on your mileage.
Old June 5th, 2008, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ukrkoz

1. donno about acdelco, but HALO plugs are the only ones so far officially proven to improve mpg. not by much, 1.4%, still counts.
Buddy, you've obviously never owned manychevys in your life.

Go ahead, run some crappy"halo" or "ngk" or "auotlite" plugs in your truck, nothing worse for a chevy than running anything other than ac delco.

Different brands of plugs have different heat outputs, ac delco is made for chevy, so thats why you replace them with ac delco.

I had anold camaro that practically shut down after a few months of running autolites.

You want better fuel economy, put on a higher voltage coil, more voltage means more complete combustion. I put a mallory coil on my 454 with MSD wires and ac delcoplugs, I can actually tell a difference now in fuel economy. My fuel economy still sucks haha, but its better.Went from like 7.5 mpg to almost 9mpg.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Fuel_Efficiency

Quick Reply: Improving gas mileage